• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamer Stigma Self-Inflicted?

Elric

First Post
I was at lunch with some guys from work today and we were discussing a company event over the weekend. One guy mentioned that he plays D&D and can't come because he has a D&D session scheduled. Amazingly (at least to me), all of the other guys at lunch said something like "Oh, I liked the TV show/arcade game" or "wasn't that big in the 80s?" or "is that a board game?"

There was no stigma attached to D&D. I am now going to a D&D game this weekend :)

This made me wonder: how much of the stigma that gamers feel because of playing D&D is self-inflicted? The group of guys that I was with (ages 20-30 or so) clearly didn't think of D&D as a negative, even though none of them had played. Anyone else have similar experiences? I probably wouldn't have mentioned the D&D game in his place, but my fears proved baseless.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I think you're pretty much right. The only people who really believe in the gamer's stigma these days are those who were brianwashed by movies like Mazes and Monsters back in the '80s. Since then I think a lot of other societal evils have come to light to make gaming look harmless at worst. In addition, so many of those "troubled teens" from back then have gone on to become doctors, lawyers, police, doctors of genetics (yes, one of my best friends who still games), and otherwise upstanding members of the community that the old tired argument just seems stupid now.

I once worked with a woman who's kids gamed. Apparently, back in the day, one of their teachers found out about this and made a point to call her and ask if she as sure she wanted to let them do this. Her only response was that the only thing D&D did for her kids was to teach them how to read, how to write, how to do math, and how to develop their imaginations. I think the teacher's response was something along the lines of "oh," and that was the end of the conversation.

Last edited:

ergeheilalt

First Post
D&D is growing less and less of an "evil" or "dark" thing. In an environment of young people (having just graduated from high school) the game still has a nerdy or geekiness association, but with the proliferation of computers geeky or nerdy doesn't have the same connotation as it did around the time I was born (18 years ago).

As Baraendur said with the teacher example, I have found that older people who blindly followed the media hype about D&D still have the stigma themselves. I used to be in a robotics club when I was asked to attend a meeting on Friday night (my game night). I said I had a game, my friends knowing that I was an D&D player. The teacher in charge of the club (also the football coach)asked, "what do you play" to which I responded Dungeons and Dragons. He gaped at me in wide eyed wonder and said, "I thought you were Christian". There were teachers that didn't have a problem with it (the Drama teacher thought it was a good exercise in acting), but even ENWorld and WotC were blocked from the school computers for being "inappropriate". It is a mixed bag, but over all things are becoming more and more normal with CRPGs.

In short, yes the stigma around D&D has fallen down a notch or two, however, there are older people who still suffer from ignorance. The discrimination against gamers is, IMO, less when associated with one's own peer group.

Erge

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
The only time I ever had a teacher ever acted "concerened" over gaming was in 6th grade. I lived in Torrington CT around that time and it got mighty cold durning the winter. So for recess a small group of us would stay inside and play D&D in the classroom while the teacher grader papers.

I think one kid might have mentioned it to his parents that we played and they in turn told the teacher they were concerend we were playing this Satan Worshipping game. So she asked to sit in on a game. Well after watching dispatch one dragon after another (BADD would be in tears if I told them some of the sotries) for 30 minutes she got up and apoligized for bothering us and we never had playing D&D in school again.

I also think it is a self stigma we gamers place on ourselves. There are 15 people in my department, after leaving a minituare on my desk 4 people asked me if I played D&D. I said yeah so now I have something to talk about with them at work.

Lopan

First Post
Interesting....

The stigma has always gotten to me, I'll admit....

Growing up, there wasn't a niche in my highschool that wasn't affected by my roleplaying(Then again, a graduating class of 60 makes that a bit more feasible). None-the-less, I remember the "Devil Worshiper" label that was placed upon me as young as elementary school(I'm now 25).

Thing is, I'm as social as the next guy. I generaly go out on the weekend, I have a great time, enjoy the drink, find companionship in lady friends, etc.. However, I've never been able to give up my drink of choice: roleplaying.

Still, when I meet a potential bride to be, the last thing I bring up is the fact that I play Dungeons and Dragons. Is it because I'm embarrased? No, I'm not embarrased. It's a part of me. However, were someone to ask me about my hobbies, I'd have a much better reaction to "I get together with friends to enact drama excercises every once in while" than I would " I play Dunegons and Dragons." Is it because I'm scarred as a roleplayer..... yes, I believe it is. It isn't easy growing up in small town Minnesota and being the only roleplayer. I'll never give it up, but it is still a taboo discussion at moments.

Do I wish it wasn't so? Yeah, I do. I wish I could be out at a bar talking to a potential lady friend of mine, discussing with her the finer points of dwarven physique. Will it ever happen? No, it won't. Am I shallow because of it? Perhaps. Still, I'll never give up on my hobby, and any serious lady friend of mine will have to acknowledge the fact that I roleplay every once in a while. Is it a self-professed escape from reality? Yeah, it is. At least for me. I enjoy the escape. I enjoy playing God for four friends. I always have. In fact, I've been playing for 14 years and I've NEVER actually played a player character. I enjoy DM'ing that much. Anway, to make a long story short. Yes, there IS still a stigma attached to D&D... however, I fully believe that it is in the eye of the beholder. I've got serious issues with it... mayhaps a lot of people don't. I hope you don't. On a lighter note:

The Midnight campaign world rocks......

Last edited:

Numion

First Post
Dagger75 said:

I also think it is a self stigma we gamers place on ourselves. There are 15 people in my department, after leaving a minituare on my desk 4 people asked me if I played D&D. I said yeah so now I have something to talk about with them at work.

BTW, was this an intentional test to see if anyone knows what miniatures are about, or did you just forget it on the table?

hong

WotC's bitch
Numion said:

BTW, was this an intentional test to see if anyone knows what miniatures are about, or did you just forget it on the table?

It's clearly some sort of strange mating ritual.

broghammerj

Explorer
so many of those "troubled teens" from back then have gone on to become doctors, lawyers, police, doctors of genetics

My group is three physicians and a middle school teacher. Of course we graduated from "evil medical school."

MonsterMash

First Post
I think that the stigma is going away gradually as the first generation of players from the 70's are getting into their 30's and 40's and its in popular consciousness. Also Computer Gaming has become much more mainstream so going home and playing games has now become regarded as an adult activity.

On the whole I'd actually say RPGing with other humans was better than just sitting at home with a playstation as you are interacting with others and getting the chance to take on much more varied roles.

Of course I work in IT so lots of people would consider me to be a geek anyway!

Remove ads