• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamer Survey - please respond

benkyo

First Post
Hi,

Took the survey. Was pretty quick and easy.

On the "Campaign" question, do you mean to use "Campaign" in the question? Usually, a campaign spans at least several sessions.

Thx!

TomB
You are right, using "campaign" and then mentioning One offs doesn't really work. I'll have to leave that as is since I would need to clear all survey responses in order to edit (which does make sense).

Edit: forgot to say Thank you for participating.

Shiroiken

Legend
Nice survey, but have a suggestion for next time. When discussing Rules (RAW), I normally use the term Rules as Intended (RAI), because strict adherence to RAW can very quickly ruin a game, especially if abused. RAI gives you the framework to run the game, but GM interpretation and rulings are important. I normally don't houserule much, but I strongly believe that the GM shouldn't enslave themselves to the RAW when they feel the RAI differs.

You can probably tell, that I choose a rules light system :)

benkyo

First Post
Nice survey, but have a suggestion for next time. When discussing Rules (RAW), I normally use the term Rules as Intended (RAI), because strict adherence to RAW can very quickly ruin a game, especially if abused. RAI gives you the framework to run the game, but GM interpretation and rulings are important. I normally don't houserule much, but I strongly believe that the GM shouldn't enslave themselves to the RAW when they feel the RAI differs.

You can probably tell, that I choose a rules light system :)
Thank you for your participation.
I agree, Rules as Intended is better than Rules as Written.

benkyo

First Post
Thanks again to everyone who has taken this survey.
I have reached the minimum number of respondents as required for this project.
However more is always better. :)

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Question 12 doesn't have an Other option, so here's my response:

I prefer elegant rules, whether they're the RAW or house rules. For example, I accumulated a truly massive quantity of house rules during my D&D 3.x days because of how many things don't work the way I want them to. But I'm happy to run D&D 4e with minimal house rules, because it pretty much works smoothly right out of the box. If I were to ever run D&D 2e again...well, I wouldn't, because I'd end up rewriting the game!

I love tabletop RPGs; it is my favorite past time.

Thank you in advance.
Happy to help, and good luck!

PS: When you write up your findings, use 'pastime' rather than 'past time.' ;)

diaglo

Adventurer
much like TS. #12 for me would be i use the rules as guidelines. what is not written is not out of bounds it just means adapting it for the group with which you game. we call those homebrewed. but they are also only guidelines and easily changed or adapted as the need of play dictates.
no such thing as RAW.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads