• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamers and "love-shyness"

reutbing0

First Post
Hida Bukkorosu said:
Could the condition of love-shyness be something perhaps that many of us gamers suffer from, particularily those of us who fall into the stereotypical "over 25 and still a virgin" crowd?
Well ,I don't really see a causal link between being a gamer and suffering from love-shyness. The Wikipedia entry say that 1.5 % of male population suffers from this. Gamers are still predominantkly male I'd wager, but really I know many men who aren't gamers who have problems with getting and keeping a partner. Sure gamers may be love-shy but Idon't really believe that within the gaming community there's a higher percentage of love-shyness.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'd say that this is not something that gamers generally suffer from, due to the following tidbit from the Wikipedia article:

In most cases, these men do not allow themselves to become involved in anything or in any activity, wholesome or otherwise, for which there is any kind of existent social support group. The love-shy do not have anybody to relate to as a friend or to count on for emotional support.

Which is generally not the case for gamers. Most gamers are part of a gaming group, frequetly close friends with these folks, and can and do turn to them (in their own geeky way) for emotional support.

If gamers have more problems with romatic relationships than men in general (a fact I've yet to see any real data to support), it is probably simply because we are a bit geeky and socially awkward. That's a far cry from being inable to form loving relationships.

Remove ads