• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Games You Want to Play

coyote6

Adventurer
Not out yet, but I'm looking forward to trying:

Eclipse Phase
Dresden Files RPG (waiting for this is torture, Evil Hat! Torture!)

Other than that, I'd like some more:
FATE (Spirit of the Century or Starblazer Adventures, either one)
Savage Worlds (maybe -- not sure I want to GM a campaign, though; there's a couple of little things that bug me about SW)
GURPS 4e
Mutant City Blues
Shadowrun 4e
Supernatural/Serenity/one of the Cortex system games -- at least to try the system

I'd also love to play, as a player, rather than just GM: any of the above, plus M&M, D&D 4e, Earthdawn, Buffy/Angel or any other Unisystem game, Paranoia, Deadlands (Reloaded or not), Blue Planet, and probably others that I can't think of at the moment.

karlindel

First Post
I'm always happy to try new games. I haven't played anything but D&D 4E for the last year or so, and I've got an itch to try something new. Hopefully my schedule will clear up some room for other games and I can try out some of the many I've been eyeing lately.

Games I've never played but would like to try:
Earthdawn
Dread
Dogs in the Vineyard
Hollow Earth Expeditions
Spirit of the Century
Dresden Files RPG
Burning Wheel

Games I've tried and would love to play more of:
Deadlands
Fading Suns
Unknown Armies
Shadowrun
7th Sea

Korgoth

First Post
Traveller (Classic)
Gamma World 1e
OD&D (already running EPT, but I can't get enough!)
Carcosa
The Dying Earth
Recon
Dark Heresy

pweent

Explorer
I'd like to play:

Spirit of the Century (I've played a game at DunDraCon, but I'd love to get characters made with my regular group for pick-up play)
Shadowrun 3e (I have very fond memories of our first edition game in college, and I miss my dice pools.)

For comparison, we're playing D&D 4e regularly, and WFRP 2e and Dogs in the Vineyard occasionally.

Dragonbait

Explorer
Games I want to try:
Exalted
World of Warcraft TRPG
Lord of the Rings (the latest version. I don't know the official name or the company)
Star Trek TRPG (like LotR, the latest version)

Games I have played once and want to play again:
Masque of the Red Death
Call of Cthulhu

Really? Because my players have found the Prophetess to be incredibly freaking powerful, compared to absolutely everybody else.
My wife *always* plays the Prophetess. She never struck me as unbalanced, though (could be I'm just used to her being in the game). For me, Talisman suffers from the same problem as many similar fantasy board games: they go on too long and make me wish I was free from the board-game constraints and playing D&D, instead. Dungeon Twister is one of the few that play-a-fantasy-character board games that doesn't seem to provoke that reaction from me.

I play a lot of board games, but they're not always what I would like to play (I wouldn't mind a bit less Ticket to Ride and a bit more Bonaparte at Marengo, for example.)

...I'd like some more...Mutant City Blues...
How much Mutant City Blues have you played? I'm intrigued by the GUMSHOE approach, but haven't tried it, yet. MCB probably wouldn't be my setting/genre of choice, but I'm still interested in how the investigative system works in play.

I'd like to start a GUMSHOE game with a Fear Itself scenario that seems fairly mundane (i.e. more psycho than supernatural) but leads into a weird Trail of Cthulhu/Mythos theme as the campaign continues.

(As someone up-thread mentioned, all of this is in an ideal world where I have all the time I want to game...)

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Really? Because my players have found the Prophetess to be incredibly freaking powerful, compared to absolutely everybody else.

Is she the one that looks at the top 2 cards whenever she draws? Or is she the "always has two spells" character? If the former, the ability to look often means avoiding things that would help her advance. Sometimes she can find good items/followers that way, but the card advantge doesn't usually help that character win over the full game. The latter is powerful since Talisman has no real rules (at least the original edition) for when you can cast spells. We implemented a simple houserule of "you must have some real use for the spell you are casting, not just cast for no effect to cycle through to the good spells. Both suffer from being Craft-y characters and there are very few consistent ways to boost your Craft in Talisman (again 1st Edition).

My wife *always* plays the Prophetess.

This is one reason why we draw random characters, so one person doesn't always pick the same character. Our current houserules are: 1) the above spell rule; 2) you can only win the game at the Crown of Command; 3) removed the Pandora's Box and Belt of Hercules cards from the Crown of Command deck; 4) at the start of the game roll a d6 for how many character cards you get, choose one to start and keep the others in case you die. If you die and have no characters left, draw one at random as your new character.

For me, Talisman suffers from the same problem as many similar fantasy board games: they go on too long and make me wish I was free from the board-game constraints and playing D&D, instead.

Our games have occasionally gone long, but usually wrap up quick because we aren't shy of taking risks in the Dungeon and Timescape. The above house rules may help this.

Dungeon Twister is one of the few that play-a-fantasy-character board games that doesn't seem to provoke that reaction from me.

I'll have to check that one out. I'm always up for a new board game.

I play a lot of board games, but they're not always what I would like to play (I wouldn't mind a bit less Ticket to Ride and a bit more Bonaparte at Marengo, for example.)

I prefer to play D&D on our offial gaming night. But luckily my extended family enjoys games so we often play Killer Bunnies, various Munchkins, Talisman, and an assortment of family board and card games. So the board and card games end up as extras that I wouldn't get to spend playing D&D anyway.

As for long board games, one of my favorites (and another game I should add to my list to be OT) is Rail Baron. We literally need to set aside a weekend to play that game, but for some reason I love playing it.

IThis is one reason why we draw random characters, so one person doesn't always pick the same character.
Yeah; *I* always pick a random character, but I can't convince my wife to do that. And hey, she's my wife...what can I do? :erm:

(She does the same thing when we play Arkham Horror, although she has two characters she likes.)

Our games have occasionally gone long, but usually wrap up quick because we aren't shy of taking risks in the Dungeon and Timescape. The above house rules may help this.
I love the Dungeon for exactly this reason. My wife hates it when I do that. (Uh oh, this is starting to degenerate into "Philotomy bitches about his wife's board-gaming quirks...")

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads