• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Games you won't play

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'll play any game with a good GM.

I won't play any game with a bad GM.

If, for some twisted reason, the best GM in the world wanted to run me through a FATAL adventure, I'd probably do it. On the other hand, if a bucket of doofus wanted to run me through FFZ, I'd bow out.

GM > Game System.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Well I would never touch such toxic stuff as FATAL (I would never have heard of it except for this forum)
I would never play RIFTS, I cannot take flexible mega-damage armour seriously, though I like the setting.
I would and have played Dark Heresy, though I loathe the setting. I could not see me signing up for a long campaing though.
Other than that, I think the attitude of the DM and players would be more important than the system. Though I would never LARP, other than that I would try anything once.

The Green Adam

First Post
The short answer is...No

There is no game I won't try at least once.

As a matter of fact, trying new games and systems was my 'thing' when I was in my early, developmental years in this hobby. The end result of this is that I got over the whole 'D&D is the End-All, Be-All' back in the mid-80's. Add to this the fact that I'm not that much of a traditional fantasy fan, preferring Sci-Fi, Superheroes and Folklore/Fairy Tale/Myth fantasy much more.

Here's a good example of my attitude...

My least favorite genres are horror and westerns. So one day, a friend of mine who moved away for a couple of years and came back to NY said he was now running games. I had never seen him GM but he was one of my best players so I was really excited. I said I'd play anything he wanted to run. He, of course, said Deadlands. My reaction? "Sounds awesome!"

It takes quite a bit to convince me to play plain old D&D though these days, regardless of edition.

AD
Barking Alien

lutecius

Explorer
Wraeththu. I still laugh/cry when I remember this game exists. Aggressively offensive to both straight and gay men, as well as any woman who isn't a stereotypical yaoi fangirl, and even then only a certain kind of that stereotype.
I looked it up on wikipedia, there was a link to a wraethu LARP site too :-S Add that to my list.
I've seen kinkier things but this is both creepy and silly in a furry kind of way.

Hmm, only one step, it seems.
Good find. I don't completely agree on the hierarchy. Imo 30 and older gamers are definitely geekier than a 13 yo gamer.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I don't like playing characters that use guns with the exeptions of westerns (like Deadlands) or futuristic games (where I use lasers rather than slug-throwers).

I just hear too much about shootings on the news, and it depresses me, so I want to get away from that in my characters.

I would not want to play FATAL.

I prefer not to play Evil characters unless it is Silly Cartoon Evil or No One Knows I'm Evil.

Belgarath

First Post
As for myself, I don't care for the mish mash games. The ones that try to combine every form of power like Rifts and god forbid one that I came across years ago called World of Synnabar.

A generic game is perfectly fine. In fact, I think that GURPS is one of the better systems out there because of its flexibility. I just wont play it if the session itself wants to include everything at once.

LARP is something I could never quite get into either. The idea of dressing up for a game and carrying around props like that just seems to be taking it too far.

I understand that some people like this sort of thing, but I myself will pass

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Is there a game, genre, setting, or character type that you will not play, at all? Is there a deal breaker game element (like the previously mentioned) that will make you consider walking away from the table if the DM was absolutely intent on playing it? (I am not talking about a DM/personal characteristic.)

Bullgrit
Diceless...maybe. But I live in an rpg-dead area, so I'll give just about anything a shot.

resistor

First Post
There's very few things I won't try.

I do know from experience that I don't care for GURPS or WoD other than Mage. And I doubt that Rolemaster would be for me. But, honestly, if someone wanted to run them, I'd give it a go.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads