• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Games you won't play

TheNovaLord

First Post
Teen Angst

Japanese school girl

Against chaos where there is no real hope and all will fail....CoC/whfrp

Present day, now, spy type espionage / special forces

4th edition...actually i wont GM that, will play occassionally, possibley

certificate 18+.

Luckily that leaves 700 genres i will, play!!

Mallus

Legend
Superheroes assumes a mundane world that exists alongside the heroic world where the only way to have powers is to be born to them (or get bit by a special radioactive gecko, or get accidentally bombarded by Doofus rays, or what have you).
You mean like Batman?

As for original question: I don't think I'd ever LARP. Aside from that, I'd play any game with if I liked the other people playing. I think any genre --or hybrid-- can be done right. Also, the rules used aren't the game, they're just tools that assist in creating the game.

So I'm not too concerned over which particular tools are used, so long as they're in the right hands.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think I'd ever LARP.

...snip...

So I'm not too concerned over which particular tools are used, so long as they're in the right hands.

Okay, honest question, going beyond the OP's question somewhat.

How do those statements above go together? Why is it that the tools of LARP are disqualified, but pretty much any other set of tools is okay?

By extension, why exclude any genre, style, or rule set that you've never tried before from consideration?

Darkwolf71

First Post
No 4e
No Superheros games (I like comic books as much as the next guy, but... I don't know.)
No 'silly' or 'cute' games
No Anime based games (Same as Supers, I like Anime, but...)
Unlikely that I would play any westerns

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
or get bit by a special radioactive gecko

The proportionate powers of the gecko. That would be so awesome! I'd love to be able to cling to things, have rubbery fingers, and be able to lick my own eyes. I may have my next superhero character for M&M.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I would never feel comfortable LARPing and when I'm uncomfortable I'm not having fun.

Same would go for any game that turns sexually explicit.

I really have no interest in playing a game where character power levels vary so much as to make any player feel useless. RIFTS and (to a much lesser extent) 3E D&D come to mind. Not that I won't play either system, but measures need to be taken to fix the imbalance.

I don't like settings that are bleak and hopeless. Cyberpunk seemed that way to me, whereas Shadowrun seemed to have a glimmer of hope.

I don't like systems that force you to play evil. I will play an evil character as a change of pace from time-to-time, but a system that required it would probably not appeal to me (maybe because it seems bleak and hopeless too).

I'd prefer not to play in a game without some form of fantasy/sci-fi element. I wouldn't rule a modern game out entirely, I'm just not sure I'd have fun.

And this assumes talking about what games I'd play on a short-term or one-shot basis. The only long-term game I'm intersted in running is 4E D&D or Earthdawn: Age of Legends. The list of games I'm willing to play is a little more open than that, but much more selective than my short-term/one-shot list.

Mallus

Legend
How do those statements above go together? Why is it that the tools of LARP are disqualified, but pretty much any other set of tools is okay?
Because I'd personally feel too self-conscious and embarrassed to LARP. It has nothing to do with that specific tool and everything to do with how comfortable I feel doing certain things in public.

In private I'm entirely comfortable playing odd, loud, theatrical and even repulsive characters --sometimes all at once, like my Dragonborn paladin/poet/playwright who marks opponents with his divine semen. Outside, in public, not so much. I wouldn't even play a vanilla LG elf.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
I tried LARPing once... never again

Shadowrun, I just can't get into it

Palladium books, They did some good work... then D20 came out and their system died in my eyes.

Druids. Back in highschool there was this druid fanboi and he wrecked them for me

Gnomes... they bother me

Monte Cooks WoD, because he could have done so much better

Licenced games where the "star of the series" is the most powerful being in all of existance and there's no way for you to ever surpass... or even so much as meet that power level.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
There are lots of categories of games on my list similar to other folks here-- the extremely obscene, the extremely goofy-- but only one that I can think of off the top of my head that I've ever specifically and consciously refused to play:

Axis and Allies.

I just find it ghoulish.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Axis and Allies.

I just find it ghoulish.

[Threadjack]Out of curiosity, would you feel that way about other wargames based on real conflicts? Is there a level of abstraction or time difference from the war you think you'd be comfortable with?

I was wondering because I don't believe I've ever heard anyone refer to a wargame as ghoulish. I think I can understand why, I kind of feel that way about some things too (in one case, the movie Titanic - family almost came to the US from Britain on that thing; illness of my great-aunt, then an infant, forced them to hold off).[/threadjack]

Remove ads