• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Games you've bought recently?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
This is a thread for people to post the boardgames they've bought recently, along with any comments they'd like to make on why those games.

In my case...

ASL Action Pack #3 (Few Returned)
ASL Action Pack #4 (Normandy)

In addition to being an Ameritrash gamer, Eurogamer and Roleplayer, I also play a few wargames. Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) is a new hobby for me - I only started in May last year, but it's quickly become one of my favourite games, especially as I can play it solo. I've never actually played full ASL with another player, but I've played it solo about 15 times so far (not counting the 30+ plays of the Starter Kits from which I learnt the game).

The Action Packs above each provide 3 maps and 12 scenarios for the game. Strangely, I can only play 4 of those scenarios... because I don't have enough else of the game! ASL's Core System involves about 8 different products, most of which are out of print. At some point they'll be back in print, though... and the Action Packs will be OOP. So, I bought the APs now.

The maps do allow me to play a few scenarios I have that I couldn't before, though, so it's not like they're completely useless - and the scenario descriptions are entertaining reading in any case.

World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game
It's like a cross between Talisman and Runebound! But better!

Honestly, for someone who has never played WoW, I have a few games related to it. This has been the best so far. I'm still not 100% convinced by it, but the turns are quick and there's a good amount of character interaction as you go on quests and try to defeat overlords. Combat is occasionally frustratingly random, but that might also be because we haven't worked out how to finesse the system yet.

Chrononauts
It's a small cardgame from Looney Labs. Fairly random, but one of the coolest themes I know: You're a time-traveller, trying to alter the timeline so you can get home to your own reality. Or to collect some artefacts that someone will pay you a lot of money for. Takes about 20 minutes, and it's worth having a look at.

I've got about another 8 games on preorder (including Agricola), and I'll update this list as they come in.

What have you bought recently?

scitadel

First Post
My recent buys:
Jambo - fun 2 player game where you take on the role of traders. Card driven game but a nice mixture of trading and hand management and offensive options. Definitely a great game, I'm looking forward to palying more of it.

WoW the Board Game - not the Adventure Game but the huge board game. Only played it once so far, but I'm not unimpressed. I need a few more games to see how it plays out compared to Descent, but I can see both having different attractions for me. Definitely more control over the individual chars and without an 'overlord', everyone participates as a team (or teams, hee!)

Frontiers - another game I'd like to get more games in. It's basically a miniatures game without the plastic figures set in the future with the humans and aliens fighting against one another. Quite fun, the set-up and gameplay is pretty easy and you can definitely get into it fast. I'm a fan.

I have both Risk 2210 and Fluxx sitting unopened so I ain't buying anything for the new future myself. Bah! Too many games, not enough time.

Asmor

First Post
Picked up the Catan dice game a couple weeks ago (to kill time while waiting in the juror selection pool, actually). It's not bad, but I've only played the "default" game, which is rather similar to yahtzee (i.e. no player interaction beyond trying to get the highest score). I'd be interested in trying the advanced rules, but don't have anyone to play it with at the moment.

Just picked up Monopoly Express today. I guess I'm on kind of a dice game kick. I blame To Court the King. :) I've played Monopoly Express a handful of times on Hasbro's website, and it's actually pretty decent. Not a masterpiece by any means, but I think I like it better than the Catan dice game, at least. They're both good solo games.

I picked up Horus (this version) and Girl Genius: The Works about 2 weeks ago. I'm a bit surprised by Horus's low rating on boardgame geek. I've only gotten to play it once in a 2-player game, but I enjoyed it and would definitely like to play it again. I'm not really sure how much it adds to the game being able to place tiles at half-tile increments, but at the very least it doesn't detract from the game at all and does make it look a bit more interesting.

The Works is a bit disappointing. There's just too much going on, but not enough to really care about. It's a heavy game that looks and feels like a light game, and it just doesn't work well imho.

Sunaj2k3

First Post
Coyraven,

I too recently got Agricola (love those animeeples). I've been able to play the family version with 3 players and with 5 players. I'm looking forward to being able to play with minor improvements and occupations, but the family version is great. 5 player games clock in at around 2 hours and 3 player games are faster than that.

While I thought the farming theme would be boring as heck, the game itself is very well designed and balanced. And, it keeps its balance as the number of players change--rare for most of the German games I've played, as many seem to have an optimum # of players.

johnsemlak

First Post
I just bought the Starcraft boardgame, though haven't been able to try it yet. I also recently picked up lost cities. Sadly, I also haven 't played it yet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads