• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming, Adults, and Growing Up

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
I've had a similar situation with 3-ish previous girlfriends and several other women I have dated that never made it to girlfriend status. The most important word in that last sentence is "previous". I'm not dating them anymore. The 3rd of which I was dating while I was a freelance writer. Yea, it was enough of a priority in my life that I was writing and making money off of it, and she still was expecting me to one day just "grow up" and put all these "silly games" behind me.

My current girlfriend and I met at the gaming table. I've dated her longer than any other and I am much happier than I was with any previous girl.

That my tale for what it is worth.

S

Sunseeker

My current girlfriend and I met at the gaming table. I've dated her longer than any other and I am much happier than I was with any previous girl.

That my tale for what it is worth.
^This.

Of all the girls I've dated, the only ones that stuck were gamers, and the one I'm with now is at times, even more of a gamer than me.

Opposites attract is for magnets, not people.

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
There is no real truth to that saying "opposites attract". Think about it.

Would a very active person who is a body builder who spends an hour a day on body building and even more with other physical activities who eats nothing but health foods be attracted to a very overweight person who drinks strong alcohol and spends most of his or her time in front of the TV or computer doing hardly any physical activity at all and smokes really nasty tobacco products and eats tons and tons of candy?

I don't think so.

I think people confuse the phrase of "opposites attack" with people who are just very different than each other. There is such a thing as people who are very different than each other without being complete opposites.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Opposites attract is for magnets, not people.

On the other hand, if your partner is basically a carbon-copy of you, liking all the things you like, then your partnership doesn't enrich either of you very much. Might as well date yourself.

It is good to have something that is your own, not "ours". It is good for you to have experiences your partner doesn't. Hybrid vigor: it's for more than produce.

S

Sunseeker

On the other hand, if your partner is basically a carbon-copy of you, liking all the things you like, then your partnership doesn't enrich either of you very much. Might as well date yourself.
For two people who are very much in love with themselves, this could be a great solution!

It is good to have something that is your own, not "ours". It is good for you to have experiences your partner doesn't. Hybrid vigor: it's for more than produce.
True, but I was referencing a more "polar opposites" sort of relationship.

Wasn't a slip, was a pun.
ah drat, I usually catch puns. Well, I did catch it, just not as a pun.

xipetotec

First Post

Well like he said, you can be "different" without being complete opposites.

pawsplay

Hero
Somebody help me with this. It appears to be terrible, terrible advice. Am I missing something?

It's also too long. :)

I mean, I don't want to just tell someone they're wrong, but if a couple walked into my office for counseling, the first thing I would do is to start breaking down the consequences of this kind of approach and discuss if it really works in the real world.

Remove ads