• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming Clubs & Community

MJS

First Post
This thread is for talking about your gaming community, IRL.

I have been reconnecting with the community near me, which I grew up with. In my hometown of Schenectady, NY, a wargamer's club has existed for a long time. Known as the SWA, this club supports tabletop games of all kinds.
For 39 years, the SWA has held events in the back of a community room set up by a wealthy local businessman for his mother to play bridge. Bridge is big in Schenectady, and the Bridge Club was the actual tenant, with the SWA being allowed in the space when available. Recently, the building was sold, and the last event there will be Dec. 14th.

Reconnecting with the SWA, I am amazed at how significant community is to gaming, and how special it is to have community space to game in. House games are great. FLGS games are great, too, and part of the community fabric. But a neutral space has benefits. A game store is much more limitd in space, and I find, sometimes not too friendly towards hosting a wide range of games. Magic, yes. AD&D, or an obscure wargame, not so much.

Fortunately, the SWA has found a new, potentially even greater community space to move to - the bottom floor of the local theater, where its conventions are held. I love being in a large room,mwith many games going at once, of all kinds. Yes, it can be noisy at times, but I love it. It's community. It's visible. Most importantly, it's inviting to newcomers.

Tell us about the community spaces you game in. I suspect that clubs like the SWA are relatively rare, but after many decades, I see them as the best way to keep tabletop gaming alive. FLGS's come and go, house games likewise, but wow...39 years of weekly and monthly gaming in an open community space is just amazing. And the games will go on...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads