• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming in Phoenix, AZ

tylermalan

First Post
I'll be moving down to Phoenix, AZ (specifically Avondale) in August of 2007, and I was wondering about the current state of gaming there! So, does anyone know of any good gaming shops, gaming groups, or conventions of any kind in Phoenix and the surrounding area? What is the state of gaming down there?

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
The only Con I've ever run across here is Hexacon
http://www.hexacon.org/

I've never been myself, so I can't speak for the quality one way or the other. There seems to be a decent number of stores around, but you're going to be on the wrong side of the valley for any of the ones I know of to be of real use. Hopefully someone from that side will be able to give you better advice in that area.

Gorok

Explorer
I have been in the Phoenix since 1964 (other than attending college at USC in L.A.). Gaming is quite active in the local area. I know of 3 local gaming-only conventions spread through the year (DarkCon in January, Phoenix Con Games in July, and Hexacon in October). In addition, several sci-fi conventions have gaming sessions scheduled along with their typical agenda items.
Since I am an RPGA member, I participate with two very active groups of Living XXX gamers (mainly Living Greyhawk, although Living Arcanis and Living Spycraft has their devotees here as well) that have monthly/bi-weekly gaming sessions/meetings throughout the valley.
I live in the west side of Phoenix, and can recommend a store called "Imperial Outpost", at 51st Ave & Thunderbird. It's near where I live, so I'm partial, but the owner/staff there is quite enthusiatic and has quite a good setup. Lots of large tables spread through the majority of the store, so lots of gaming sessions can go off in the store all the time. There are also several other active, dynamic stores, but they are on the other side of town, so I tend to not go there as much.
I assume you are mainly talking about roleplaying groups when you asked about local gaming groups. If you want more historical, miniatures, boardgames, etc., I know of other groups which emphasize such things as well.
Send me a PM if you want, and I can give more details (meeting locations, gaming contacts, addresses, times of meetings, etc.).
And, welcome soon to the Phoenix area (although moving here in August could not be at a worst time...the weather WILL get better, honest :cool: )! I love living here, and cannot imagine living anywhere else!

tylermalan

First Post
I checked out the Hexacon website - pretty cool! Any sites for the Phoenix Con or DarkCon?

Do you guys know what the names are of the other stores that were mentioned? Where they might be at? Also, any websites for any of the stores?

Yeah, I was talking MAINLY roleplaying games, but other games would be cool too!

Oh, and thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I hear in the summer its pretty rough :(

Treebore

First Post
If you've lived in Alaska, or up "North" in general, most or all of your life your going to find out what it feels like to bake. 116 to 118 degrees is not easy to deal with. I've been in peoples homes up there where they had their AC on Max and were not able to get the house below 87.

Welcome to Arizona, though. I am happy where I live, and I have only been here a year and 17 days. I have no desire or intention of moving ever again.

Gorok

Explorer
tylermalan said:
I checked out the Hexacon website - pretty cool! Any sites for the Phoenix Con or DarkCon?

Do you guys know what the names are of the other stores that were mentioned? Where they might be at? Also, any websites for any of the stores?

Yeah, I was talking MAINLY roleplaying games, but other games would be cool too!

Oh, and thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I hear in the summer its pretty rough :(

Phoenix Con website: http://www.conevents.com/page/phx/main.asp
DarkCon website: http://www.darkcon.org/

Local gaming stores:
Imperial Outpost http://www.imperialoutpost.com/
Other stores located in the east side of the city:
Gamer's Inn: http://www.gamersinnaz.com/
Game Depot: (can't find a website, but this store is amazing! I used to go here often, even with the long drive, until Imperial Outpost opened up MUCH closer to my house).
Waterloo Games: (can't find a website, the store farthest away from my house. I would travel to it periodically. Their specialty at the time was that they stocked all kinds of out of print titles, and worth the drive just to browse and see some old "favorites").

There are other game stores, but they are fairly smaller, with less gaming space/tables, etc.

I found the following list, which seems quite extensive:
http://www.casfs.org/ConNotations/PickUp_2006-08.html
("ConNotations" is a local newspaper, published every few months, detailing upcoming events).

tylermalan

First Post
Well, I'm here! I've been in Phoenix for about 2 weeks now, and I'm living in Avondale, on the west side.

I checked out that website for Gamers Inn... wow! That seems like a really great store! So does the Imperial Outpost... I'll have to check them out tomorrow or next weekend!

Arkhandus

First Post
Hrm.... Avondale isn't too far from Glendale and our side of Phoenix. I dunno how close you are from where you're situated in Avondale, but you might check out ManaWerx, which is in Phoenix but kinda close to the edge of Glendale. ManaWerx is a clean place, and has lots of space with long tables for gaming. The owner's apparently working on getting a small LAN space set up near the back, but nothin's there yet. They have a TV with some video games/systems that can be played for a few dollars an hour, or somesuch (I've often seen folks playing the Wii or the X-Box there, but I don't have spare cash to spend on video games lately).

I and a few others play D&D and D20 Modern/Future at ManaWerx most weeks, currently on Saturdays. The other players actually come from the opposite side of Phoenix and over in Chandler, so it's more of a drive for them then it is for me, but ManaWerx holds a lot of Magic tournaments and such. They've stocked some D&D and other RPG books (and can order more on request) since folks have started playing RPGs there for a while, but it's mostly an M:TG and other CCG store.

Some other folks play on some Thursdays or Saturdays, so I know there's another group of roleplayers that hang out there too, but the third group hasn't been around in a while. Still, you can find a few gamers there, and we'd welcome another player.

Besides ManaWerx, if you don't mind the further drive (from your side of town) to the Metrocenter Mall, you can check out Atomic Comics (actually just outside the mall, in one of the surrounding stores across the parking lot), and Game Nightz (inside the mall, down the stairs/escalators from the food court, across from the Waldenbooks).

Atomic Comics carries a ton of different stuff (aside from the obvious comic books, they have a sizeable RPG section and various anime/manga stuff, plus collectable card games and miscellany). They also run Magic: The Gathering tournaments and such; I don't know if any gaming groups meet there regularly or not, as I don't have a car myself to make the trip over there very often (whereas ManaWerx is fairly close to my house). It's a cluttered place and has the usual comic-book-store posters and whatnot strewn about, but not a sty.

Game Nightz carries various RPG, CCG, board game, miniatures wargame, and similar/related materials. They're a bit smaller than Atomic Comics and Manawerx in terms of space, but not tiny. Game Nightz runs some Warhammer tournaments or similar (I'm not sure exactly if it's Warhammer or just a similar game, since I've only been around when they were just setting up, or just putting the terrain pieces away), and I think they also run Magic tournaments but I'm not sure. Game Nightz is cleaner and less cluttered (just a bit cramped since it's stuck in a smaller mall-space), and seems a bit friendlier I think (again, I don't go out that way very often myself, so I have less experience with the place).

Remove ads