• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming Paper in use.

darjr

I crit!
Thanks for that!

I need to be able to easily switch between rooms and put it on the table. I also don't like the idea of carting a big 'pad' around. They'll need to roll up and unroll neatly.

I'm going to try again to find it locally and use it and post pictures.

darjr

I crit!
Yea, I'm solidly sold on drawing maps on paper. The battle mat will continue to get heavy use, but any significant maps drawn on that will get translated to paper asap.

And tiles. I'm mostly going to stop using tiles, cept for the bits. A set that has a lot of bits I'll consider getting. I might get the essentials set. Is there a secondary market for tile bits?

Iceman

First Post
Hey, cool. I actually know the guy that created Gaming Paper (the owner of the gaming center where our games run). I'll ask him about the color thing next time I see him.
You hang at GrandLAN? I've stopped by there once (to buy a roll and check out the space) but have not made it back for any actual events...

-VIC

darjr

I crit!
Office max has that 27x34 50 sheet pad for $22. Office Depot only has their own branded 25x30 40 sheet pad for $30. Both seem to include the 'tab' as part of the space. The office depot one is designed to be stood up on it's own and wastes a lot more space in the 'tab' at the top. Still, the office depot one is still close to half the price.

amysrevenge

First Post
I know that when I lived in the US I bought this product for a similarly reasonable price at either Office Max or Office Depot. The actual store, not the online store.

Actually, since I primarily use the battlemat rather than paper, I even still have about half a pad left (out of two pads purchased), 8 years later. :p

Steel_Wind

Legend
I don't know what your American shops are overcharging for, but in Canada you can get 50 sheets at Staples for 12 bucks. Here's a link (that might block your IP if you're not in Canada, who can tell?).

We do live in the country that makes a good chunk of the planet's paper. It tends to be cheaper here as a result - and the market tolerance for paying very much for paper is also pretty low.

I also have purchased the Easel pads at Staples for $11 and change and use them as a projection surface for gaming.

I still prefer a Battlemat for general use, mind you.

I have yet to try gaming paper and as I have recently picked up a Chessex Mondomat to go with my other vinyl mats, my justification for getting Gaming Paper is pretty limited indeed.

That said, I will pick up a few rolls of Gaming Paper at Gencon this year "just because" I would like to try the product; moreover, I think the concept is "neat" and the repated use of YouTube to demonstrate and hawk Gaming Paper left me with a quite positive impression of both the product and the company's owner. So for only $4 a roll? Sure - I'm in.

darjr

I crit!
I must admit a bias towards gaming paper cause I have some. But I do like it. Especially after seeing the easel paper up close.

Also it's a dedicated gaming company that I want to see do well.

Still, the price difference is significant. Is it worth the premium? I think I want it to be. I really like how light yet sturdy the stuff is. I also really like how it rolls up and then just goes flat without curling.

Remove ads