• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming Props - What do you use and how do you make them?

msd

First Post
OK...I haven't been in a lot of games that use props, but would be interested in knowing what others commonly use.

Specifically, I am interested in trying to make a piece of paper look old, as if it is a piece of parchment from a dusty old tome... :D . I had heard something about dipping the paper in tea and then letting it dry but am looking to the community for direction on that one.

What props do you use? If they require making, how do you do it? :cool:

Crothian

First Post
I just use handouts. Aging paper through soaking in tea does work, but I've never personally done it. I do cook paper, make it brown over a flame but don't let it catch fire.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
The Ravenloft Tarokka Deck

rltd.jpg

It doubles as a creepy tarot deck and evil plot-generator.​

JamesL85

First Post
Thanks for the link MonkeyDragon.....

I'd also heard (but never tried) paper sacks work well. Print them out with your printer (or by hand) and wad them up to give them a wrinkled look, then burn the edges as needed.....

James

Frozen DM

Explorer
MonkeyDragon said:
Aging paper with tea:
rip the edges of the paper so they're good and rough. Use extra hot water and make super concentrated tea. half a cup of water let steep for 5-10 minutes is good. crumple the paper up good and soak it in the tea for a few minutes, then spread it out flat to dry. Looks good.

I've done this and it works well. I've actually used clothes pins to hang it so that it doesn't stick to the drying surface. The first few times I tore the paper because it was too wet and tore when I tried moving it. I've used wax to seal letters made with this type of paper, to add a certain authenticity.

Another nice way of presenting parchment like this is rolled up and tied with some kind of ribbon. I did this with some letters the PC's were trying to recover. I also singed the ends since they found them after interrupting their owner trying to burn them.

I've also used food colouring on paper to simulate certain stains (like blood). It doesn't always work as well as I'd hoped. I think it depends on how pourous the paper is.

In one game I had the PC's find a message from a druid, so I used birch bark as a writing surface with charcoal. I've also tried wood burning, but that didn't turn out very well.

Outside of writing surfaces I've used candles in black-iron holders, mostly to help set a mood. That's about as fancy as my props have gotten.

The only problem I've had with aging paper with tea is the smell that inevitably lingers for a very, very long time.

Office supply stores will have nice parchment type paper... you can just burn the edges and avoid the smell.

sniffles

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
The only problem I've had with aging paper with tea is the smell that inevitably lingers for a very, very long time.

Office supply stores will have nice parchment type paper... you can just burn the edges and avoid the smell.

Yeah, I think I'd just buy parchment paper and rumple it up a bit for effect. That would be great for maps, spell scrolls, wanted posters, messages, etc.

I like Frozen DM's idea with the stains. You could probably use paint or ink for more controlled results.

I use instant coffee, myself, but there is indeed parchment paper available at office supplies stores or stationary stores.

I have a friend who has put a piece of paper in the oven to good effect. Paper burn at around 232 degrees celsius (that's mgnmgnmgn 450 degrees farenheit), so if you set your over a little lower than that, the paper will turn brown all over. You might want to wrinkle the paper a bit before putting it in the oven.

You can also buy kraft paper / wrapping paper, that's parchment-like and brownish. The paper usually comes in pad or roll form, IIRC.

Get yourself a real pen and you're all set.

As for other props... I've used clay to make dungeon walls a few times, with mixed results.

AR

Abisashi

First Post
I use parchment paper from an office supply store for letters and such in my game. I generally close them with ribbons, occasionally with wax. You can burn them, rub them in dirt, etc.

I have lots of hero-quest furniture, which is cardboard and plastic and looks pretty nice (buy it off of ebay); it's a little large for normal minis, but it's close enough. I also have a few pieces of pewter furniture.

At a hardware store, you can buy big sheets of styrofoam; you can then cut them into rectangles with a table saw and use those to build a dungeon. You can also get a styrofoam cutter and make other interesting shapes.

I also have random stuff lying around my house; a black ring which I use as a major artifact (though I use it on the mini-board, so it represents a 5-foot diameter floating ring), cool rocks (for normal and mini-size use), etc. I also make magical designs (which go on floors and such) by drawing on paper with different-colored pens.

I have also used candles to set the mood, especially when playing Call of Cthulu. I don't have other light-sources when I use candles.

I have a cigar (which I bought for a murder-mystery party), which I use to mark certain characters. I think having a bunch of props (cigars, hats, etc), one for each major NPC, would be cool, but I haven't done that yet.

Remove ads