• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming W/Jemal: Legends (3.5e d&D) *Recruitment Closed*

Rathan

First Post
Ok it's obvious you're leaning towards your original ruling still stands..... is this your final ruling as DM... or are you leaving it open for discussion still Jemal....

Myth and Legend

First Post
*Edit: Also, this is my 6,666th post, just had to say that. I may dissapear into a puff of smoke shortly, so if you don't hear from me soon.. SEND HELP!!! *L*
It seems to me that was your 6674th post, or you just went on a posting spree after this one :) Either way, we can't help you because you are making us pay an XP penalty for using Gate :D

Jemal

Adventurer
Myth: Posting spree in attempt to ward off the demons. ;)
Also, Post IC!!

Rathan/SHhayuri - If you have anything new to say feel free, I'm OK with discussions, but unless/until you change my mind, I'll stick with the original ruling.

Jemal

Adventurer
Myth - I'm pretty sure Mastery of Shaping doesn't apply to Spell Like Abilities, it only says Spells. I'll have to check up on that before I update.

Myth and Legend

First Post
I to took me some time to do everything and roll that accursed natural 1 on the SR check. Please refresh my post before you continue. Alaso, if Mastery of Shaping can't apply to the other High Arcana ability i took, can i change that? Meteor Swarm without Mastery of Shaping is useless.

Jemal

Adventurer
I to took me some time to do everything and roll that accursed natural 1 on the SR check. Please refresh my post before you continue. Alaso, if Mastery of Shaping can't apply to the other High Arcana ability i took, can i change that? Meteor Swarm without Mastery of Shaping is useless.

You can do that if you want, but AoE without shaping isn't useless, it's just more difficult to use against opponents who aren't very big.

Myth and Legend

First Post
But the idea of taking a 9th level spell as a SLA is to get more 9th level spells right? So i will replace it with something else and still load up on Meteor Swarms and use them with mastery of shaping (that is, if you say it can't be used with SLA). Since both are Archmage features though i thought i could combine them.

Also, i know i can target AOE spells at the ground so that they affect the enemy only, however for Meteor Swarm that would mean i will miss out on the physical damage.

Here are the SRD entries, you see why i think they could work together:

Mastery of Shaping: The archmage can alter area and effect spells that use one of the following shapes: burst, cone, cylinder, emanation, or spread. The alteration consists of creating spaces within the spell’s area or effect that are not subject to the spell. The minimum dimension for these spaces is a 5-foot cube. Furthermore, any shapeable spells have a minimum dimension of 5 feet instead of 10 feet. This ability costs one 6th-level spell slot.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name. A few spell-like abilities are unique; these are explained in the text where they are described. A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus or have an XP cost. The user activates it mentally. Armor never affects a spell-like ability’s use, even if the ability resembles an arcane spell with a somatic component. A spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics (usually 1 standard action) unless otherwise stated. Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled. In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell: Using a spell-like ability while threatened provokes attacks of opportunity. It is possible to make a Concentration check to use a spell-like ability defensively and avoid provoking an attack of opportunity. A spell-like ability can be disrupted just as a spell can be. Spell-like abilities are subject to spell resistance and to being dispelled by dispel magic. They do not function in areas where magic is suppressed or negated.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Myth: Posting spree in attempt to ward off the demons. ;)
Also, Post IC!!

Rathan/SHhayuri - If you have anything new to say feel free, I'm OK with discussions, but unless/until you change my mind, I'll stick with the original ruling.

Here's what I'm saying.

I don't see any reason why, and my link supports this, that Freedom of Movement wouldn't work on any kind of "paralysis" effect, be it magic or otherwise. There's no reason to believe, from the spell description or any other source, that Freedom of Movement is limited to magic effects. The part where it singles out magical effects is very clearly (IMO) inclusive, not exclusive. In short, it exempts you from movement-impeding effects, including magical effects, but not limited to.

That said

If Sigil failed her DC against the stun effect, then Freedom of Movement would not allow her to act despite being stunned. So if a fort save of 32 isn't enough...and...well, that's a whole other issue if not :)...then I'm not arguing this point. If she's stunned, then she's stunned, and that's fair and square.

Now. If you decide to artificially limit Freedom of Movement to only affect magical threats (meaning that things like natural spiderwebs and paralysis poisons are not affected), then I'd like the chance to rephrase my contingent trigger so it's not wasted on things that I had no way to anticipate it wouldn't work against.

And with that, whichever way you rule, I'm prepared to put this behind me.

Though before I sign off, I encourage you to take the retro-test. That is, if you had one of your NPC's with FoM active, and a PC cleverly hit you with a nonmagical movement-impeding effect, would you even pause to wonder if the FoM applied? I admit, my feeling is that you would not. But I may be a bit bitter about the whole thing by now too. ;)

Last edited:

Roronoa

First Post
The whole problem with Freedom of Movement is that is doesn't include any rules on how it works except for the spells it works on, grapple, and water. As such this isn't really a cut and dry area and requires the DM to decide what limitations apply.

After all, gravity is an external force that specifically hinders movement. Does Freedom of Movement allow you to fly? I'm pretty sure everyone here would say no based off of logic, but the spells description doesn't prevent that train of thought.

I think the argument is not whether or not Freedom of Movement ONLY functions on spells, but whether or not if functions on extrodinary paralysis specifically. These things are sort of a case by case situation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads