Gamma World Box Set Sneak Peak on I09.com

I don't have room in my gaming budget for this product, though some board game geek friends are excited about this.

I think the booster idea is cool and interesting. It reminds me of the Magic: the Gathering card Booster Tutor.

WotC reps are on the record as saying there is really no point in trying to "collect a set" of the cards, the game is fully playable and enjoyable without them, and that the idea is you have a booster you open at the table when the time is right. Sounds OK to me.

I think they, and the 2011 product line full of boxed sets full of bits, are mostly a response to FLGSs complaints that no one buys 4E books since you can get the full experience from DDI. The boosters are just a little extra thing that you can only get the full value from if you buy them at your FLGS. Yeah, you can proxy, but it's not the same as having the nicely printed card to shuffle up of foil pack to rip open.

As long as the boosters are optional and only used to add even more random wackiness to a game it's all good...

WotC has to entice us and convince us to buy stuff, but if they become too anoying, then no one will buy it

As long as the boosters are optional and only used to add even more random wackiness to a game it's all good...

WotC has to entice us and convince us to buy stuff, but if they become too anoying, then no one will buy it

Sure boosters are also "optional" for most CCGs; that is until someone shows up at the table with an "optional" deck or three.

Dire Bare

Legend
Bah! Optional character abilities on cards, optional character abilities in hardcover or softcover books . . . the medium disturbs me not. Don't know if I'll buy any, but I won't buy into the hysteria that Gamma World is now a collectible game that destroys the spirit of the original.

I'll definitely purchase the main boxed game, probably at least one booster to try it out . . . and I'm sure all will be fine even if I don't decide to purchase any additional boosters.

MrGrenadine

Explorer
I can't wait to see 4e Gamma World, but I loathe the idea of cards and booster packs in my RPG. I can only hope that the cards in the set will also be on a dice table somewhere that can be updated as new cards come out.

Korgoth

First Post
I'm a fan of Gamma World 1e (which, blessedly, I own). That game could be played wacky (in fact, Gygax wrote a very wacky sup for it), or desperate and weird.

I'm curious to see what 'tone' this one will take. I'm guessing it will lean into wacky territory. But that's actually fine with me. And I love boxed sets! I'm definitely getting this thing.

And yeah, I'll buy some booster packs just because. I'm not gonna pretend that I won't.

scourger

Explorer
Seeing it dulls my enthuiasm a bit, but I will probably still pick it up. It sounded very exciting to me when it was first announced, but I am not sure it will deliver what I am looking for.

Remove ads