• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gargantuan Orcus out in March per Amazon

Dire Bare

Legend
the black knight said:
And yeah, a gargantuan Demogorgon would have been too convenient; Wizards might have looked on it as another endorsement of Greyhawk?

What?!? This makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would a Gargantuan Demogorgon "endorse" Greyhawk at all?? Or any more or less so than a Gargantuan Orcus? And why would Wizards be afraid of "endorsing" one of their own campaign settings?? I'm just at a loss at this statement.

Dire Bare

Legend
I think Wizards choose to do a Gargantuan Orcus (that's assuming Amazon isn't pushing a vaporware product here) for two very simple reasons.

1) The Icons line is all about Gargantuan and Colossal . . . . BIG . . . . figures.

2) The Icons line is all about D&D, well, icons! And you can't get more iconic than Orcus!

We've already got a Large Orcus, and it's cool. We'd probably all love a Huge Orcus in an upcoming set (sculpt depending) . . . . but the only thing that could be cooler than a Gargantuan Orcus would be a Colossal Demon Prince of the Undead!!

Wizards can't produce Gargantuan and Colossal dragons forever, so they are branching out and what better way to start off the experimentation? If Orcus sells well, I see not only more enormous demon lords, but giants, a tarrasque, and other super-big iconic beasties. I'm drooling over the possibilities.

Also, remember, that a creature's size doesn't necessarily correllate with its CR. Just because this new Orcus figure will be Gargantuan doesn't mean it's CR will be in the stratosphere, although it could be . . . .

Drowbane

First Post
Glyfair said:
*Off-topic*
I know the DDM players worship them. They have lists of which exact sizes of which colors are missing, etc. However, I'm sick to death of dragons (at least the iconic metallic & chromatic ones). I'd rather they limit them in the DDM sets to one "classic" dragon and maybe one non-standard dragon (say a gem dragon) per set. I certainly don't want to see another icon until they've added some dimension to the line.

I know its been said before, in countless other posts in countless other threads... but... its Dungeons and Dragons. Dragons are F'n cool, dragons sell. However, I'm with ya somewhat. I've realized (only after getting my first Icon-dragon) that I don't need all my smaller than Huge dragons... (except as the rare dragon pc or cutesy young dragon NPC).

I could be happy just having two gargantuan Black Dragons (my favorite of the "core ten", 2nd being the Reds). But I will buy a Blue (then White, then Green) just to make it easy to keep track of in combat. Also, they're pretty enough to put up on a book shelf (seriously, how often does one get to use a Col. Red Dragon?).

I got a Pseudodragon and a Colossal Red Dragon in the same week. Talk about your size comparisons...

I don't need any Metallic Dragons. I suppose a Colossal Gold would be cool... but the other four? Meh.

Drowbane

First Post
frankthedm said:
...Mcfarlane toys...

I've heard about these things for over a year now... I guess I need to look into where to buy some. I don't like buying stuff online.

Cool links, btw.

I agree about the White's wings... need to be bigger.

Thurbane

First Post
Dire Bare said:
What?!? This makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would a Gargantuan Demogorgon "endorse" Greyhawk at all?? Or any more or less so than a Gargantuan Orcus? And why would Wizards be afraid of "endorsing" one of their own campaign settings?? I'm just at a loss at this statement.
Not sure about Orcus vs Demogorgon, but WotC does seem to be continually distancing itself from Greyhawk, despite it being the "default" setting of the core books. They want people to focus more and more on FR and Eberron.

It's a bummer for me, because neither of those setting particularly interest me...

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Dire Bare said:
What?!? This makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would a Gargantuan Demogorgon "endorse" Greyhawk at all??

Because the amazon page describes the gargantuan orcus as an action figure that, if you pull one arm down, shouts "GreyHawk is Jolly good!" (as well as "Death to all living beings!" and "I'll use your flesh in a modern sculpture)

Decado

First Post
I will buy it if the sculpt is good. My players have managed to have Orcus swear revenge against them for foiling one of his plots. I would love to have a giant Orcus mini around to keep them on thier toes! If the sculpt is no good I will stick with my Reaper Miniatures version of Orcus. Even in its primer only state it scared the crap out of them when I plopped it down on the battle mat. :D

Decado

I suppose Orcus has a bit more visibility due to his prominence in Planescape and the like, but surely Demogorgon would sell very nicely as a Savage Tide tie-in? Though I suppose Orcus is a bit more traditionally red-skinned demony than a two-headed tentacled baboon-lizard thing, and probably would be a bit more generic.

Or maybe they're doing this because Orcus is the BBEG in the first WotC Digital Initiative adventure path... ;)

Agamon

Adventurer
Drowbane said:
I've realized (only after getting my first Icon-dragon) that I don't need all my smaller than Huge dragons... (except as the rare dragon pc or cutesy young dragon NPC).

:eek: How high of level do you usually play? I find my Huge and larger Dragons look pretty, but that's about as useful as they'll get, whereas my large Black Dragon nearly TPKed my L10 group a few weeks ago.

Agamon

Adventurer
humble minion said:
I suppose Orcus has a bit more visibility due to his prominence in Planescape and the like, but surely Demogorgon would sell very nicely as a Savage Tide tie-in? Though I suppose Orcus is a bit more traditionally red-skinned demony than a two-headed tentacled baboon-lizard thing, and probably would be a bit more generic.

Yup. He'll make a nice proxy for Kyuss when my group gets to the end of AoW.

Remove ads