• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Garrote Confusion

EvanDynamic

First Post
My apologies if this is a re-post as I do not have permission to use the search function.

Could someone post a step-by-step, action-by-action example of how a character would go about a garrote attack as I think I am interpreting it wrong? Going off of the PHB grab rules and Dragon Magazine 373 garrote multiclass feats, I think it works like this.

1st turn, Standard Action = Grab with garrote without using any powers or attacks, only the PHB combat section explanation of grab (with the -2 escape penalty of the garrote). No damage done. Of does a melee basic with a garrote start a grab if it hits? Minor action = Sustain Grab

Enemy Turn: They try to escape at a -2 penalty, and they attack you without any penalty. You try to hold on.

2nd turn, Standard action = You attack. Is this only a melee basic attack 1d4 with the garrote? Or, if you can take the feats, either one of the 3 garrote-specific attacks in Dragon Magazine 373 or the 1 upper-level rogue garrote grab in the PHB? Or is it any rogue light blade attack power and using the garrote as the weapon damage (see rule below)? Also would any attack would have 2d8 Sneak Attack die (d8 backstabber feat) due to garrote's combat advantage award(does this CA only come with the garrote multiclass feat or with untrained garrote attacks as well?).

The last option is according to this line from Dragon 373:
If you are a rogue, you can use the garrote with the Sneak Attack class feature and any rogue melee attack power that can be used with a light blade.

But this reading of any light blade power seems like it would lead to some unlikely and impractical couplings of rogue powers and garrotes (Handspring Assaults for example).

On balance, it seems like a lot of opposed rolls over multiple turns for mediocre damage that an attack power with CA could match in the first turn with one attack roll. I love, love, love the idea of garrote attacks but find my interpretation that the rule's call for charismatic Sly Flourish garrotes a bit tough to swallow, so to speak.

I think that you're right about the interpretation. But if you want a garroting class, the Assassin from DDI (currently in playtest, due to be finalised next month) is probably your class.

twilsemail

First Post
The finished essentials assassin was released last week.

There was a miscommunication at WotC and the finished Assassin won't be released until December. Consider the currently printed "final" a second playtest.

Looking for relevant link.

Edit: Post is somewhere in here, by Steve Winter of WotC

Remove ads