• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gate + Time Stop

FunkBGR

Explorer
Hey -

I've got this dead horse, want to beat it?

We were playing last Wednesday, and my players were talking about wanting to use Time Stop to gate in a bunch of Solars, and I mentioned it doesn't work. Then, I realized that I couldn't remember exactly why it doesn't work.

Anyway, one of my players pointed to me about how Time Stop says in its description that you usually use it to summon allies, and the best I could give in response is that Gate targets something, and can't be cast.

So - I think what I'm going to do is work it out with them that Gate doesn't work because it has to target something, and Summon Monster does work, since it's just pulling them from somewhere in the cosmos.

Edit: I'd rather know what the consensus was than house rule anything though, hence the post here.

Corsair

First Post
You basically have it right. Gated creatures are not summoned. They are actual living beings which you are forcibly moving to your plane.

While the time stop is in effect, other creatures are invulnerable to your attacks and spells;

That line will prevent you from moving another creature from one plane to another. Your player is more than welcome to spend that time summoning an elemental monolith instead, though.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
"Gate" + "Solar" + "Bunch" makes me think of the Celestial Cascade (tm) combo attack.

The basic idea:

1/ I gate in a Solar.
2/ I instruct my new friend to gate in more Solars, and to instruct the new Solars to both gate in new Solars themselves, and to instruct the Solars they gate in to do the same.
3/ For 1000 xp, I now have an infinite* number of Solars.

*) Time limits on prime material may limit actual number of Solars. Offer not valid in all pantheons. Your DM may vary.

- - -

This tactic is incompatible with time stop -- you can only get one Solar per 1k xp within duration of the time stop.

Cheers, -- N

Erywin

First Post
Nifft said:
"Gate" + "Solar" + "Bunch" makes me think of the Celestial Cascade (tm) combo attack.

The basic idea:

1/ I gate in a Solar.
2/ I instruct my new friend to gate in more Solars, and to instruct the new Solars to both gate in new Solars themselves, and to instruct the Solars they gate in to do the same.
3/ For 1000 xp, I now have an infinite* number of Solars.

*) Time limits on prime material may limit actual number of Solars. Offer not valid in all pantheons. Your DM may vary.

- - -

This tactic is incompatible with time stop -- you can only get one Solar per 1k xp within duration of the time stop.

Cheers, -- N

*Shudders* don't let my players hear about this :p They are still many levels off (current high level is 11th) and the cleric doesn't have any ranks in spellcraft to attempt a scroll :D I am safe for another day

robberbaron

First Post
I think that if you cast a summon spell in a Time Stop the critters arrive when Time is back on.
Might also work with a Gate.

You cast the spell unhindered, rather than having to be defensive - bit of overkill using the Time Stop but if you've got it flaunt it.

mvincent

Explorer
Nifft said:
"Spells: Solars can cast divine spells as 20th-level clerics."

That's up to four gates per day. :)
But (per their prepared spells list) they typically don't have that particular spell prepared. You would have to wait a day or so... meaning the cascade might take awhile, and you're going to have to bribe them with some serious coin (per the gate spell description)

Jack Simth

First Post
Nifft said:
"Spells: Solars can cast divine spells as 20th-level clerics."

That's up to four gates per day. :)

Cheers, -- N
Clerics are prepared spellcasters. Solars don't have Gate listed under their typically prepared spells. Unless you've arranged with a specific Solar in advance for this trick, it doesn't work on the must obey version. You can squeeze it in under contractual service, though.

mvincent

Explorer
Jack Simth said:
Unless you've arranged with a specific Solar in advance for this trick, it doesn't work on the must obey version.
That might make for a fun, epic side-quest: strike a deal with the heavenly host to have a large number of solars prepare gate on a particular day. Arranging for them all to planeshift/teleport at a certain time (or just use a "planar travel" gate rather than a "calling" gate) might be easier though.

Remove ads