• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gay men or women who play D&D

BeholderBurger

First Post
HI,

Do any of you know any gay men or women playing D&D?

The reason I ask is I am doing a project for School about people in minorities with passtimes considered "out there" , Like Black Mothers who are Hypnotists or Disabled Chinese kids who are trainspotters. It is an interesting subject regarding how people from minorities usually have to give up the ability to be different in an attempt to conform to societies stereotypes. Like Eddie Murphy in trading places. Our culture attempts to absorb people from minorities and to attempt to legitimise its core values. Surplus Capital Accumulation, Heirarchy worship, Educational elitism, Material necessity etc.etc.

So, if you know any Gay men or women who play D&D let me know about there stories. Im interested for my Essay.

Cheers

Last edited:

Wormwood

Adventurer
I know two gay gamers, but they aren't active in our group any more, so I don't know how much help I could be.

BeholderBurger said:
...Like Black Mothers who are Hypnotists or Disabled Chinese kids who are trainspotters...

On a lighter note, I can't get that quote out of my head. Thank you.

Samnell

Explorer
BeholderBurger said:
Do any of you know any gay men or women playing D&D?

You're speaking to one. What do you want to know?

EDIT: If I'm not reasonably prompt about responding it might be because I've lost track of the thread. Happens to me a lot. Email's in my profile.

Last edited:

BeholderBurger

First Post
Cool,

All I wanna know is what I said earlier. Do you feel the need to abide by a set of core values and "life-pathways" that reflect an attempt to conform for more acceptance by the wider community ,you know, as if your only allowed so much non conformity and you have to make up for it in other ways. Or do you feel really liberated to actually do anything you want. Im not concerned with your actual choices, rather I am concerned with whether you feel pressure to do it.

Thanks

Last edited:

Hi,

There have been discussions in the past about gays who roleplay. I also remember a topic last year about portraying homosexuals in a campaign. The discussion was civilised, and many board members outed themselves at the time.

AFAIK Angelsboi is still Enworld's gay representative. But he's not the only gay guy on these boards - I'm gay, so that's at least two ;-)

So, what is it you want to know? I know quite a few non-hetrosexual gamers. Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Transexual. Not all of them play D&D, but some do.

Last year I was involved in a 5 player game of D&D where all players & the DM were gay men. Before that I played in a Vampire Dark Ages game with all gay players - we had about 8 people play in that campaign over it's duration.

In my experience Roleplaying is more accepting of non-hetros than mainstream society. I believe that's because roleplaying other characters allows you to see different lives and lifestyles, and thereby accept other lifestyles more.

Yahoogroups even has a couple of lists for "gaymers".

Duncan

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Re: Re: Gay men or women who play D&D

Wormwood said:
On a lighter note, I can't get that quote out of my head. Thank you.

Haha- is that like "If it wasn't for my horse, then I would never have gotten through that year of college?"

As for homosexual gamers- There was a bi- person in my college group, but my current is very blue-collar. If someone was gay, then I doubt they would ever bring it up.

FD

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads