Gay PCs or NPCs

STARP_JVP

First Post
I'm just curious here; this was sparked by a conversation I had just recently. Without editorialising homosexuality itself, has anybody here had a gay or bisexual PC in their game, or a gay or bi NPC? I'm just curious to see how common it is. It's never actually happened in my game - not for any particular reason, I'd like to stress; it just hasn't.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Uhm not really make an issue about a PC's or NPC's sexuality...but did have a succubus that preyed more on virtueous female paladins then male ones. Course she was also very chaos touched so judge as you will.

Nightfall

Probably not for most but I do think some people do tackle it as a means of being more "mature". Whatever that truly means...

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Pretty much only in our most immature times we have lesbians. I won't say anymore than that. Besides that, no. If we play a female gay character, we're like 'woohoo' [immature] and if a guy gay it's like 'Ewww.'

It sounds kinda bad, I know, but I'm being honest, so that has to count for something, right? It's just one of those things which isn't really thought of much, probably for the above reasons.

Goblyn

Explorer
Nightfall said:
That...and honestly do you see any Gay/Lesbians monsters while you're hacking away at them? I mean really?

Exactly ... the PCs encounter gay and lesbain monsters and NPCs all the time ... they just never find out because the sexuality of pre-kibbled baddies never comes up and thus becomes a non-issue. The same stands for pre-kibbled PCs.

Nightfall

Uhm certainly not for pre-kibble bad guys/monsters, but PCs? eh...dunno. I think it's more a mentality most PCs have. There's an instinctive need to kill. Kind why people play FPS', the need to see blood.

At least that's my theory.

I've had some gay NPC's . . . in particular, the heir to the throne is gay and not particularly interested in governing -- inspired by the historical Edward II of England, as seen (a little exaggerated, right about his sexual orientation) in "Braveheart".

That makes for some interesting political complications. Insiders know about the "problem", but the people don't know (they'd be upset). The king knows his older son is gay and not interested in ruling, but basically a decent person, and his younger son is straight, but far too interested in ruling -- and of questionable moral decency.

So, the succession solution was a political marriage for the older son to a reliable, smart, LG princess who wouldn't mind a sham marriage. The PC's managed to negotiate that, which actually brought their kingdom into a war, but in a great for the campaign way. ;)

My point is . . . characters can be gay without it being "Will and Grace" gay. I play it like "real life" as I've seen it, which is that gay people are basically the same as non-gay people, with some interestingly different plot hooks. One decision for a DM to make is how accepting or non-accepting of homosexuality their campaign world is.

My campaign world is probably something like 1950s New York -- everyone knows homosexuality exists; some communities are "out there" and accept it; most people think it's scandalous; there's not a lot of official repression but there's also no concept of gay rights -- gay people mostly just want to be left to their own business, and other than gossiping, most people are fine with that.

I once worked with a guy who was in Vietnam with the 1st Cav in 1964, at the very start of the ground war. He said, during the gays-in-the-military crisis in the Clinton Era, what's all the fuss about? Of course there have always been gays in the military. In his outfit, the solution wasn't to TALK about such an uncomfortable subject or make rules (1964 was pre-hippy era), but to switch from 2-man tents to 12-man tents, so there wasn't so much of it obviously going on. With 12 guys, people weren't sleeping together anymore, and as long as they weren't open about it, nobody cared.

Remove ads