• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GBA RPG: Which one for my daughter?!?!

Vrylakos

First Post
Ok, so my daughter's Gameboy Advance recently got fixed. Her games, however, were scattered. She only has Bomberman now.

I want to get her an RPG. She like fantasy. She had Golden Sun, but when I asked her if she liked it she said it was 'ok'.

So, are there any other GBA rpgs that people think are really good?

Thanks!

Vrylakos

Zulithe

Explorer
I think Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga would be a good choice :) It has elements from both Paper Mario and the original Mario RPG from the Super Nintendo days. It's really fun AND funny!

Like most GBA games you can probably get it for about $30, or even less online. Here is a short review with pictures and stuff: http://www.gamespot.com/gba/rpg/marioandluigi/

Vrylakos

First Post
Zulithe said:
I think Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga would be a good choice :) It has elements from both Paper Mario and the original Mario RPG from the Super Nintendo days. It's really fun AND funny!

Like most GBA games you can probably get it for about $30, or even less online. Here is a short review with pictures and stuff: http://www.gamespot.com/gba/rpg/marioandluigi/
Thanks for the link! It does sounds good! Hm, which one to get, or should I get the complete Zoo Tycoon set... Hrn, bloody Christmas!

Vrylakos

Last edited:

Dark Jezter

First Post
Although I've never played it, I've heard very good things about Fire Emblem, which is an RPG/Strategy.

IGN gave it a 9.5 out of 10.

Welverin

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
Although I've never played it, I've heard very good things about Fire Emblem, which is an RPG/Strategy.

IGN gave it a 9.5 out of 10.

In that vein there are also Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Onimusha Tactics.

I've also heard/read Fire Emblem described as Advance Wars fantasy style.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Welverin said:
In that vein there are also Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Onimusha Tactics.

I've also heard/read Fire Emblem described as Advance Wars fantasy style.
I'm almost done with it now, and that's an apt description, made more apt since the same company designed both games. It's a load of fun, with cut scenes and RP-elements (leveling your units, and so forth), but it's less of an RPG and more like Final Fantasy Tactics:Advance, which is another great game...or so my wife tells me, since she hasn't put it down in weeks to let me try it.

Sword of Mana is an actual RPG, and is getting good marks. Lufia is out there, but I've heard it's not quite as good. For the matter, Megaman Battle Network is an oddball RPG, too.

Kitsune

Explorer
The GBA has the world's best turn-based strategy collection, hands down. But unfortunately it's a little lacking in truly excellent RPGs. Your daughter was right to call Golden Sun only 'okay', it was pretty simplistic despite great graphics and sound.

Sword of Mana is an updated version of the first of the Seiken Dentetsu series, which came to the US first as Final Fantasy Adventure, and later as Secret of Mana, then Legend of Mana. We missed out on the third game in the series, which is a terrible shame, as it's pure gold. Sword of Mana is great, but an important thing to bear in mind is that it's a real-time combat like Legend of Zelda, and not turn-based like the 'traditional' RPG. Dunno if that would make a difference to her or not. One thing to note though is that it has a female protagonist that can be chosen in place of the male, and she actually has a different storyline than he does. That could hold extra appeal for your daughter.

Lufia is mediocre, and the Phantasy Star Collection, while harboring fond memories from the old-school, would surely not appeal one bit to someone who grew up with more modern games. The Mega Man Battle Network series is fun, but can get repetitive in short order, on top of not being fantasy in any way, shape, or form.

Mario and Luigi is a pretty fun little game, but in my opinion not as good as the original Super Mario RPG. And also not really fantasy, though it is in a pretty fantastic world.

Pokemon and its thousand copycat games can be pretty safely skipped over by everyone. I'm fond of the Pokemon series of video games, being something of the pioneer of a neat idea, but still don't hesitate to call it all very formulaic and over-simplified, even for a kids' game. The GBA Pokemon is a signifigant improvement over the older versions in graphics, sound, and variety in the monsters, and even lets you choose between a boy and a girl for your character, but even with all of that I wouldn't recommend it for someone who'd played through Golden Sun.

The strategy games, Advance Wars 1 and 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Fire Emblem are all absolutely wonderful games. Final Fantasy Tactics also has a very nice storyline to it that should appeal to an RPG player despite its squad-based combat system.

Vrylakos

First Post
Kitsune said:
The GBA has the world's best turn-based strategy collection, hands down. But unfortunately it's a little lacking in truly excellent RPGs. Your daughter was right to call Golden Sun only 'okay', it was pretty simplistic despite great graphics and sound.

Sword of Mana is an updated version of the first of the Seiken Dentetsu series, which came to the US first as Final Fantasy Adventure, and later as Secret of Mana, then Legend of Mana. We missed out on the third game in the series, which is a terrible shame, as it's pure gold. Sword of Mana is great, but an important thing to bear in mind is that it's a real-time combat like Legend of Zelda, and not turn-based like the 'traditional' RPG. Dunno if that would make a difference to her or not. One thing to note though is that it has a female protagonist that can be chosen in place of the male, and she actually has a different storyline than he does. That could hold extra appeal for your daughter.

Lufia is mediocre, and the Phantasy Star Collection, while harboring fond memories from the old-school, would surely not appeal one bit to someone who grew up with more modern games. The Mega Man Battle Network series is fun, but can get repetitive in short order, on top of not being fantasy in any way, shape, or form.

Mario and Luigi is a pretty fun little game, but in my opinion not as good as the original Super Mario RPG. And also not really fantasy, though it is in a pretty fantastic world.

Pokemon and its thousand copycat games can be pretty safely skipped over by everyone. I'm fond of the Pokemon series of video games, being something of the pioneer of a neat idea, but still don't hesitate to call it all very formulaic and over-simplified, even for a kids' game. The GBA Pokemon is a signifigant improvement over the older versions in graphics, sound, and variety in the monsters, and even lets you choose between a boy and a girl for your character, but even with all of that I wouldn't recommend it for someone who'd played through Golden Sun.

The strategy games, Advance Wars 1 and 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Fire Emblem are all absolutely wonderful games. Final Fantasy Tactics also has a very nice storyline to it that should appeal to an RPG player despite its squad-based combat system.
Wow, thanks for all the info, Kitsune!
Apparently some other relatives have bought her three Pokemon games (Yellow and Red?, and the trading card GBA game?).
My father was also going to get her a Pokemon GBA game, but I suggested not to. Instead, after I told him her reaction to reading a review of Harvest Moon, he got that for her. I may well get her Sword of Mana after I see her report card...

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I have a feeling she'll also be playing SW: KOTOR on my xbox... I got it for $30 at Target, but I know she'll log more time on it that me...

Vrylakos

Remove ads