• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GC 2006 - Ptolus Hardback $120!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvantum

First Post
According to the GamingReport coverage of the Malhavoc GenCon seminars at http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=18356&mode=thread&order=0, next year's release of the Ptolus campaign setting hardback is going to retail for $120 US! Has the success finally gone to Monte's head? Is gamingreport wrong on this one? Can anyone else confirm or deny that price point? I mean, it sounds like a very awesome book, but 120 dollars? Kee-ripes that's nuts!

Staffan

Legend
It seems there's a general trend among publishers to test the limits of what people are willing to pay for big, high-end gaming stuff. People were apparently willing to pay $100 for the World's Largest Dungeon, so now Monte is testing the limits with $120 for a setting/city/adventure.

OK, I know not everyone who bought the WLD paid $100 for it (thanks to Amazon discounts etc.), but those discounts ought to be available for Ptolus as well.

Sunderstone

First Post
Wow....thats definately way too much. Monte can keep my copy (though I wasnt going to buy one anyway). If this is true, then Im done with Malhavoc entirely.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Sure, $120 sounds like a lot. But what's included in that cost?

Gamingreport said:
This is going to be a huge book with six to seven hundred pages, not counting poster map, twenty-four handout pages, and a CD with four pages of content not in the book, and more. The book will also be printed in a deluxe format with a fully embossed cover, some 300 pieces of art, built in ribbon bookmarks, and full color art.

It sounds to me like this is an ultra-deluxe project that's loaded with bells and whistles. I'd say look at it, watch reviews, and watch for previews before deciding (about a year before release) that you won't buy it.

Sammael

Adventurer
I can say right now that I have no intention of buying it, regardless of contents. I can buy five WotC books from Amazon for that kind of money, and I have very little interest in Ptolus to boot. But it appears that Monte has enough fans who buy everything he publishes regardless of contents or quality, so I doubt he'll have trouble selling it.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
To everyone outraged: relax. You don't hate McDonalds because they sell a Chicken Delux Whatever for twice what you pay for a normal chicken sandwich do you? A high end product isn't a secret plot to screw you out of your money, it is a high end product. Quite frankly, I think the game industry could use more of them. People spend a hell of a lot more and far less useful things in other hobbies, that's for sure.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
We are talking about a specialty item here, to be sold at a specal event GENCON and more than likely just on-line, this will not be mass market by any means, so yes $120 is a fair price. Monte has craved out a nice niche for himself in a niche market and while he is a recognizable industry name, he has constantly delivered great product worth the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads