GDQ1-7 redux help!

ruleslawyer

Definitely! I love the epic scale to your encounters.

I would have been happy to run adventures like this in 4e, but that edition proved utterly unsuited to my players, who are best described as "casual gamers." Ironically, I lost the hard-core gamers and retained only the people who love RP and fun times but have no tactical acumen whatsoever. We had an abortive 4e game where it took four hours to run a single open-terrain 1st level combat, after which I gave up. I'll create interesting terrain hazards anyway and bring in the stunts concept I used in Iron Heroes, but the actual play will be Theatre of the Mind (ie minis on the table to show rough position, but no actual distance meant using or square-triggered effects).

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Definitely! I love the epic scale to your encounters.

I would have been happy to run adventures like this in 4e, but that edition proved utterly unsuited to my players, who are best described as "casual gamers." Ironically, I lost the hard-core gamers and retained only the people who love RP and fun times but have no tactical acumen whatsoever. We had an abortive 4e game where it took four hours to run a single open-terrain 1st level combat, after which I gave up. I'll create interesting terrain hazards anyway and bring in the stunts concept I used in Iron Heroes, but the actual play will be Theatre of the Mind (ie minis on the table to show rough position, but no actual distance meant using or square-triggered effects).

There's a lot to like about 13th Age for casual gamers, I suspect, particularly if they can get a handle on how to make backgrounds really work and use those to trigger RP both in and out of combat. I hope I get to try it soon.

Remove ads