• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[GE] A Game Of Elves, ElfQuest d20, OOC

Timothy

First Post
I'm going to star an Elfquest PbP.

Elfquest is a fantasy comic. It is about elves *gasp!* but these elves are diffrent from the Tolkien or DND ones, and there are a lot of varieties.

This game is only for people who read elfquest (and if you read one, you're addicted) and would like to play PbP. I do not have the rules, but the basis would be D20, with add-ons.\

Everybody can contribute to the rules, and we're not going to make this too difficult.

So, elfquest lovers, Unite, and let's play!

Last edited:

Guilt Puppy

First Post
:eek:

I promised myself no more PbP games, but Elfquest? Can't pass that up!

Regarding rules, I could write up some races to begin with... Post them here?

(Edit: Some suggestions:)

Sending should be a feat, elf-exclusive (although the Sun Villagers are the only ones who wouldn't have it automatically.)

Classwise, the spell-casters would probably need to be changed... If you're okay with RP-heavy, magic could be loosened quite a bit (to fit the flavor of the book)... You'd have plant-shapers (Wis-based), healers/flesh-shapers (Wis, again), the Rayek-style telekinesis folk (Cha, I'd say)... That covers most of the magic (in the original books, at least), but I could stomach an Int-based arcane caster as well.

Weapon proficiency and the like might be better based on race... It'd be hard to balance the races while still staying true to the books, but here's some basic stat thoughts:

Humans: As PHB

Wolf-riders: -2 Str, +2 Con, Low-Light vision, bonuses on Balance and Ride?

Sun Villagers: -2 Str, +2 Wis (Sending requires a feat)

Blue Mountain elves: -2 Str/Con, +2 Dex, and (!) flight 20ft (Perfect)

Go-backs: +2 Con, -2 Cha, Cold Resistance 5

Mountain Trolls: +2 Str, -2 Int, -2 Cha, Darkvision, Speed 20ft, +2 vs. Magic?

Frost Trolls: +2 Str/Con, -2 Int/Wis/Cha, Darkvision, Cold Resistance 5, Speed 20ft, +2 vs. Magic?

Half-Trolls (ie Two-Edge): Darkvision, Speed 30ft, +1 vs. Magic?

Preservers: Okay, near impossible as a PC race, since they're practically indestructible...

Anything important that I'm missing?

Last edited:

Timothy

First Post
Great Take on the rules Puppy, I like it allreay!
Although I would give the wolfriders +2 dex. The races don't have to be balanced in comparison to humans, but in comparison to each other. So we could raise all stats a bit, to represent the book better.
I'll post my take soon.

Is ther someone else that wants to play too?

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Timothy said:
Great Take on the rules Puppy, I like it allreay!
Although I would give the wolfriders +2 dex. The races don't have to be balanced in comparison to humans, but in comparison to each other. So we could raise all stats a bit, to represent the book better.
I'll post my take soon.

That they don't need to balance against humans is true, I hadn't fully considered that... Although it will make things a little tougher (in-party the group will be balanced, but CRs lifted from the MM and places won't be balanced against them)... I definitely think the -2 Str should be kept though (again, the whole d20 rules are thrown off if you stop using humans as the base 10's for all stats)... Even the Wolfriders were clearly not as naturally strong as humans in the books, so the baseline needs to be put off a little. Giving the Go-Backs a +0 Str actually seemed a little generous.

It was actually pretty tough to pick an appropriate bonus for the Wolf-Riders, as well as others... Maybe give all the elf races a +2 Dex and -2 Str as the baseline, then stick the "cultural" modifiers on top of that? (Birdriders should be upped to +4 in that case: They were definitely even more lithe than the average elf.)

Also an important question: Small or Medium-sized? I say Medium, but I could see cases argued either way.

Oh, and High Ones: -2 Str/Con, +2 Dex/Int/Wis/Cha... Definitely not a balanced race :) (still under-represents them as seen in the books, but we can assume the rest was from Class levels)

Timothy

First Post
Humans: As PHB

Wolf-riders: +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Cha Low-Light vision, + 4 bonuses on Balance and Ride, animal companion: Wolf, aging effects, as per PHB Elf

Darts Wolfriders:-2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Wis, +2 bonus on ride, Animal companion: jackal.

Sun Villagers: -2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Wis, +2 Cha (Sending requires a feat), +2 bonusses on Diplomacy and Proffesion (agriculture)

Blue Mountain elves: -2 Str/Con, +4 Dex, +2 Int and flight 30ft (Perfect)

Go-backs: +2 Con, +2 Dex, -2 Cha, Cold Resistance 5, Proficient and +1 on Swords (long, bastard and great) (Timeline is set after Gormuhl Djun is defeated, and the palace is whole again)

Mountain Trolls: +2 Str, -2 Int, -2 Cha, Darkvision, Speed 20ft, +2 vs. Magic +2 craft: weapons

Frost Trolls: +2 Str/Con, -2 Int/Wis/Cha, Darkvision, Cold Resistance 5, Speed 20ft, +2 vs. Magic

Half-Trolls (ie Two-Edge): Unique, not available as player race.

Preservers: (Not for PC's)Okay, near impossible as a PC race, since they're practically indestructible...

High Ones: (not for PC's) -2Str/Con, +2 Int/Wis/cha, shapchange 2/day.

I sthere anyone else who wants tp play this?

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Wolf-riders: +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Cha
+2 to Con and Dex..and the neg is Cha? That is WAy Powerful.Up there with a +1ECL race (look at FR Aasimar).
I think that they should have the -2 Str...they are little (they ride Wolves, normal sized wolves).
Or, -2 Int. The are instinct (Wis) Based, not Learning oriented...it took Cutter how long before he figured out the Pommel of his Sword????
Search was not his best skill.
But, it is your game.

Last edited:

Timothy

First Post
I was thinking of having all elfs be ECL +1.
And -2 can be done indeed.

Would you like to be part of this game uriel?

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Err...I must be careful, Timothy, I am far closer to the perilous 'Garyh' Level than you...my Sanity is not assured in these dark days ahead (And I'm starting a second game (as DM) with 3 more in the very near future....)I think that's 15, although 2 are Dead, I fear. (Garyh has a dead one or two also...GARHY! Mythmere isn't coming back <sniff>. Let it go, man!
I'll hold off on Elfquest, although (since I'm 33), I remember running to the COmic store and waiting for EQ...and Yep, I actually have them all from then Woohoo@ Oversized WaRP Graphics!
Now I want to 'Go-Back' and read them again. I was all about Strongbow and Two-Edge.

G.A. Donis

First Post
My wife is a major Elfquest fanatic. She doesn't hang out on the ENBoards, but would you mind if I mentioned this to her? I imagine she would be very interested in playing this.

Remove ads