• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gen Con indy next year date.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
Color me stupid but how does having kids in school make a difference?

Let me get my paint brush. :)

The only thing Peter (not going to attempt the last name either) can feasibly do is move the date. GenCon just can not compete with an event that is going to draw ten times the people. Especially considering some of the fiascos that happened this year, next year' GenCon needs to go as smoothly as possible. Being on the same weekend as a race will severly hamper that goal.

aurellius

First Post
If he leaves it the same date, it is already too late to get hotel rooms most likely. A huge number of people come to that race every year and reserve their rooms for next year as they check out.....And prices are raised for that event and the 500 in that all the rooms up to SIXTY MILES away will sell out for a race.

He is going to have to switch the date or just about kill the Con for that year.

Mark

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Later is better. It also moves us later in August which might help with some of the other more aromatic issues, as well as the need to hope desperately for another cool summer.

William Ronald

Explorer
It is best to avoid competing with 300,000 people for hotel rooms. A late start might have other benefits. Gen Con would not be much of a story with the Brickyard in town the same week.

Also, some people at Gen Con were staying at hotels at the edges of Indianapolis. (I think Twin Rose was one of these commuting Gen Con patrons.) I think a late start is best. However, it might be best to try to coordinate future dates. Perhaps the local visitors and convention bureau can work with Gen Con on establishing a regular date.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I probably won't be going in any case, but I'd love to go to Gen con on the same weekend as Nascar. Killing two birds with one stone and whatnot.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Dinkeldog said:
Later is better. It also moves us later in August which might help with some of the other more aromatic issues, as well as the need to hope desperately for another cool summer.

As for the aromatic issues the city has spent the last two weeks working the the downtown sewer system. Be glad they wern't working on it durring GenCon.

As for the summer heat, we were extremely lucky with the weather this year. Most years you can expect Indianapolis to be in the high 90s durring the day cooling to the mid 80s at night. This normally lasts from late June until early September.

KenM

Banned
Banned
JRRNeiklot said:
I probably won't be going in any case, but I'd love to go to Gen con on the same weekend as Nascar. Killing two birds with one stone and whatnot.

Thats what I was thinking, too. I love Nascar. Who is your driver? IMO Mark Martin is the man. :D

CarlZog

Explorer
I heard Peter discussing this on MortalityRadio.

He already knows that Brickyard weekend doesn't work and is trying to get the convention center to bump a smaller group currently scheduled for some other weekend in July/August.

CZ

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
august is good for me. That way i can have more time to get my years employment so i can get a vacation day! yay!

Please god don't book it on the same weekend as nascar. That's like going against a tarrasque armed with a spork.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Well I voted to move it to a later date.

I love Nascar and have been to the Brickyard several times (Go 22 & 20 for those who are interested) but no way do I want these at that same time.

Brickyard would just kill Gencon in prices, rooms, etc. Besides I don't want to have to split my time up. :D

Remove ads