• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gen Con indy next year date.

Fiery Todd

Explorer
Americans go back to school in mid-August???!!!! When are you off for the summer? May?

Here in Toronto (Canada), school doesn't resume till the begining of September...

So, I guess it's GenCon in Toronto next year! Sweet!

P.S. 300 000 vs. 30 000 isn't really a fair fight.

Coreyartus

Explorer
Yeah, I don't understand why everyone feels Gencon has to stay in Indianapolis. If the move from Milwaukee proved anything it's that a change of venue won't kill it, and it seems to me that Indianapolis just can't seem to make room for our measly little convention in the face of so many big moneymakers. I'd rather move the location and eliminate any chance of competition at all.

There are LOTS of midwestern venues--St. Louis, Columbus, Chicago... Who said it has to stay in a city where there simply isn't room? Spread the fun around! There are plenty of conventions that change local from year to year! People will come regardless of where it is (heck, we suffered through Milwaukee for 30 years--doesn't that say anything?)!

I know that changing locations less than year ahead of the convention is risky, but gimme a break! Didn't Indianapolis say they wanted us in the first place? I'm sorry if they lose out because someone else changed the schedule of their races on them, but our gaming money can be spent in lots of different cities besides Indianapolis, and it spends just the same.

Besides, if the turnout for GenconSocal is as low as they are expecting (which wouldn't surprise me based on the amount of promotion they've done) Gencon would be better off to simply shift locales every year: one year on the East Coast, another on the West Coast, and the next in the Midwest, and so on.

Just my two cents!

Coreyartus

drothgery

First Post
Fiery Todd said:
Americans go back to school in mid-August???!!!! When are you off for the summer? May?

Sometimes (though it's rare for anyone other than college freshmen to be in class before the last week of August). One year my last day of classes at WPI was April 29.

ssampier

First Post
Leopold said:
Please god don't book it on the same weekend as nascar. That's like going against a tarrasque armed with a spork.

Not a spork:eek:

Yes, having a CON during races is a bad idea. Also the late con probably wouldn't be the most ideal. Hopefully he can bump that group in July or early August.

As far as school goes, I know schools in my area let out in May since many do not have air conditioning and it's hard to concentrate when you're hot.

As per Coreyartus post, it's not that easy. I believe the con has contracts for at least two more years of Indy.

And my uni starts the 25th. Of course we are hardly the norm (only being a state university and all).

Dire Wolf

First Post
I voted to move it later into the month of August as well. Since I am a working stiff the dates don't matter to me, I will need to take days off either way. What would matter to me is if the cost of my hotel room was to go up 50 or 100% and food was more expensive/crowded, traffic was bad, etc.
I can see how it might be an issue conflicting with school though as many kids in the south do go back to high school in early August. I don't know about you, but when I looked into the CCG and Mage Knight rooms there were a lot of high school age kids.
No matter what I think it is a bad idea to fight against NASCAR and I hope they move the date to later in the month. Good luck Peter!

der_kluge

Adventurer
Yea, I agree, it seems like they could move it without much difficulty, and shoot for Indy in '05.

Kansas City just built a big convention center which would probably be adequate. The hotel space probably isn't sufficient, however, but there are other venues in the downtown area that could probably handle it ok.

I agree with Coreyartus, there are several other cities in the Midwest that could probably handle this.

CaptainCalico

Community Supporter
It is my understanding that GCLLC is locked into Indy for the next 3 years - they won't be able to think about moving it again until after '06.

Sam

First Post
CaptainCalico said:
It is my understanding that GCLLC is locked into Indy for the next 3 years - they won't be able to think about moving it again until after '06.

Kinda speaking without knowing any of the important details here (who needs facts anyway?), but it seems odd that GenCon locked themselves into a three year deal without knowing what the dates were. If they did know what the dates were, didn't they check for conflicts? If Indy moved certain dates (Nascar events & the like), then GenCon should have an out.

Anyway, my 1/2 cent. [discounted due to pure speculation]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads