• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gen Con Newbie HELP!

Sunglar

Explorer
For the first time in my life I am going to Gen Con… I’ve played for a LONG time but I have never been to a gamming convention before. I’ll be traveling with some friends, some who have gone before, and they have gotten some things done, like arranging for some seminars and the Dungeon Delve, but I’ve been blissfully ignorant about what else I can do.

I realize I may be late but what else should I look for? I know the ENnies are held and I would love to go, but have no idea if it is an open event… I want to see the booths, but have registered for NO gaming. Heck I’ve been to enough trade shows in my life to think I will be able to navigate this, but do you have any advice for a new guy going to his first convention, and this being Gen Con?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

Sunglar (Roberto) :D

maddman75

First Post
Sunglar said:
For the first time in my life I am going to Gen Con… I’ve played for a LONG time but I have never been to a gamming convention before. I’ll be traveling with some friends, some who have gone before, and they have gotten some things done, like arranging for some seminars and the Dungeon Delve, but I’ve been blissfully ignorant about what else I can do.

I realize I may be late but what else should I look for? I know the ENnies are held and I would love to go, but have no idea if it is an open event… I want to see the booths, but have registered for NO gaming. Heck I’ve been to enough trade shows in my life to think I will be able to navigate this, but do you have any advice for a new guy going to his first convention, and this being Gen Con?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

Sunglar (Roberto) :D

- Go to the GenCon forum here on ENWorld and sign up for some pickup games. The really good stuff isn't stuff you pay tickets for. (with the obvious exception of *my* games :p)

- Be prepared for the glory that is the dealer hall. Artwork, new products, discounted older books, all kinds of stuff, chat with some of the designers - I had a great talk with one of the White Wolf writers about the new mage last year.

- While you can live on the BBQ sandwiches they sell at the convention center for 4 days, I really don't recommend it.

- If its there again, hit the Gamer Olympics. Fighting with padded weapons!

- Even though registration for games is closed, you can still get in on the action. There's catalouges showing all the games. Get some generic tickets and see what you can get into! Even if a game is listed as sold out, if someone doesn't show you can get their spot if you have some generic tickets.

- The auction, and the used books they sell, are also one of my favorites.

There is no way on earth you wouldn't have enough to do at GenCon.

Heh, watch me act like the grizzled veteran after one trip...

The ENies are open and all are welcome. It was a bit crowded last year, but this year it is in a better venue, and I don't know how big it is. But I would plan on not arriving at the last second.

Check out the threads in the GenCon forum off of this forum. There are games run by ENWorlders for ENWorlders, so if you see something you like, go for it. Also, keep an eye on that forum, as I (and I'm sure others) will have tickets to games they signed up for but won't be using. I have several, and will be offering them gratis to anyone that can use them.

You can also get generic tickets for games, then go to the game you want to play and hope someone doesn't show. Last year, it seemed that there was a decent chance of getting into a game that way, especially when its for time when they are running 10 sessions of the same game in a room.

maddman75

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
You can also get generic tickets for games, then go to the game you want to play and hope someone doesn't show. Last year, it seemed that there was a decent chance of getting into a game that way, especially when its for time when they are running 10 sessions of the same game in a room.

I ran four games this year that were sold out, and only one of them had everyone show up. If you see a table that isn't completely full getting ready to start, see if you can jump in!

Sunglar

Explorer
See this is why I love this place! You guys are great… Thanks for the heads up. I would certainly like to try playing in some game, but I am typically a DM/GM first so I will be ok if I play in one or two things.

The games listed in the forum here where are they held? Or does it say so in the description? (Probably should look there first…)

Here is looking forward to meeting some of you there…

Sunglar (Roberto)

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
For your first time just plan on seeing the con, spending lots of time in the exhibit hall, the auction, etc. There's plenty to occupy you for four days without andvanced scheduling any gaming. For games, I would just look for pickup games or buy a few generic tickets and see what you find there. Most people I know way overschedule their first time there and regret it-just go and see what you feel like doing once there. Make sure you stop by the Fat Dragon booth and say hi!

Sunglar said:
The games listed in the forum here where are they held? Or does it say so in the description? (Probably should look there first…)

Here is looking forward to meeting some of you there…

Sunglar (Roberto)

Usually decided at the last minute. Last year the Hilton nearby did a great job of providing tables in the common areas for pick-up games, but they are undergoing renovations, so we don't know if that will be true this year. The ENNies booth is frequently used as a meeting point for everyone to gather before heading off in search of a place. Also, people may hold games in their hotel rooms.

If you like to DM, you're most welcome to post a game in the forum. It's getting close to crunch-time, so a lot of people already have their dance card full, but you may still find people like yourself that are looking for games to play.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Be prepared to be overwhelmed. Seriously there is way more of everything than you will likely expect (people, events, dealer hall, etc). Not having anything scheduled isn't a bad idea because it leaves the flexibility to change your mind on the fly when something intreresting comes up. I have been going for years and still haven't had the chance to do some things and doing everything in one year is just impossible.

If you are not in shape start walking now. I figured this out a couple of years ago (and it is even larger now) and there is over 1.6 miles of dealer hall booths to walk by. Yes that is miles. The one thing I have found helpful is having my walking endurance up. With everything else that you need to see and go to you will be walking many miles a day. Even walking a couple of miles a day all year long my feet still start getting sore about day 3.

Don't forget to eat and drink. It may sound silly but with everything going on it is easy to forget or not to make time. You will be in a better mood and better able to keep going.

Chaldfont

First Post
Visit the Ram and try their specially-brewed Gen Con beer. I'm going to ask the brewer this weekend what they are brewing at the Indiana Microbrew Fest.

Now if I can just remember to pick up a couple of growlers before they run out!

Brown Jenkin said:
Don't forget to eat and drink. It may sound silly but with everything going on it is easy to forget or not to make time. You will be in a better mood and better able to keep going.

I stocked up on PopTarts, granola bars and other semi-healthful stuff, and made sure I always had something to nibble in my backpack. I got meals, but often at odd times between games, and at least this way my stomach growling didn't disrupt the game. Also, throat lozenges and breath mints, as I work mostly by myself (and live alone), so I talked more in one day then I generally do in a week.

Remove ads