• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gen Con Newbie HELP!

RodneyThompson

First Post
Though some will disagree with me, I'd say don't eat a bite of the convention center food. It's not awful, but one of the nicest parts of Indianapolis is that there's a ton of decent food around. If you just want something fast, just sashay over to the food court in the mall attached to the convention center.

As for other general advice, make sure and take at least a day to just play some games. Play demos, play in organized games, play in pickup games, whatever. When roaming the show floor, stop and play the demos, even if you don't think you'd ever buy the game. You'd be surprised what you'll like (that's how I was convinced to buy Pieces of Eight last year at Origins before it even came out!). Go o the ENnies, and go to any parties hosted by ENWorlders that you hear about (great way to meet community peeps). Don't be afraid to walk up and talk to game designers, since most of them are there to talk to you (just be nice!).

Other than that, if you like a game you try, then buy it if you have the means. Don't forget to bathe, sleep, eat something other than junk food, and drink lots of water to maintain hydration and energy. It's really easy (at least for me) to get completely wiped out by a day at GenCon, so keeping your energy levels high is a big must.

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Moridin said:
<snip>
Don't be afraid to walk up and talk to game designers, since most of them are there to talk to you (just be nice!).
<snip>

Word up.
I have to second this. At Gencon 2006 (my first Gencon), I met a bunch of Palladium folks (including Kevin Siembieda who contrary to what you may hear, is actually a really decent guy and made the time to introduce me to some of his writers and chat with me about various items), and the crew from Kenzer Co. I met people from Mongoose Publishing as well.
It was pretty nifty to meet people whose words you read over and over again in game.

And for the most part, I think they were awesome.

Oh..and the Eden Studios folks...they rock. They are so enthusiastic about their work that it's infectious.

marimacc

First Post
Though these forums are great, definitely consider stopping by the official Gen Con forums at community.gencon.com; you'll find LOTS of helpful info there, and lots of Gen Con fanatics ready and willing to answer all your questions. :)

Like Rodrigo mi amigo, I was a GenCon virgin last year as well. The EN World games are a must, the pay games are usually not worth it. HOWEVER, if you are an RPGA member, the tournament games aren't bad and there is usually open space.

As for practical advice, figure out the distance from where you are staying to the Hall, if you have to drive to get there, there is almost assuredly no parking available; so you'll want to figure out the best way to get there via mass transit. Have good walking shoes, I took a pair of shoes last year and literally had to re-sole them while I was there. (not a good idea).
Bring a water-bottle and stay hydrated, it fights that nasty con headache (actually its just dehydration) that everyone seems to get. The snacks are a good idea, and though the food at the convention center is okay, its very pricey for what you get. Find the local eateries you wish to patronize and figure out walking distances to get there.

The ENnies is a semi formal event, it is open to the public, but don't show up in shorts and a T-shirt, a tie isn't required, but a dress shirt is a real good idea. Do get an EN World nametag here and wear it so we know who you are. Stay for the after party and make sure you meet folks. Take a shower, and stay clean, (I wish more people would) a convention of gamers is no excuse to smell. Gamer funk should be wiped out and the only 'stink' should be the pre-con party on Wednesday night.

Make sure that you have enough time to puruse the hall. Its large, its loud, its full of booths. Pay attention to what they have, note the price and comparison shop. If you can be diciplined, you can walk away with some great deals, the last day is a great time to find bargains for dealers wanting to rid themselves of wieght and excess merchandise before heading home.

But most of all, have fun. I did, that's why I'm going back. ;) See ya there.

Chaldfont

First Post
I should repost this: my map of great places to eat downtown. I work in downtown Indy.

If you can, try to get to Yat's on Mass Ave. It's too far to walk, but totally worth it.

qstor

Adventurer
Where's the thread for the new ENworld t-shirts? I didn't see it when I searched in General Discussion or the shirts themselves in the ENworld shop.

thanks

Mike

Chaldfont

First Post
MrFilthyIke said:
Nice list. :)

I'd also add http://indiagardenindy.com/. We hit that place at lunch. All-you-care-to-eat at a reasonable price. :)

I hate to break it to ya, but that place closed. It really sucks because it was some of the best Indian food in Indy and the only Indian food downtown that I know of. From what I hear, the landlord wanted to put a chain in there so they could charge more rent.

-- Oh sweet crap! I just read the web site. Looks like they are re-opening on Delaware!

That just made my day.

Sunglar

Explorer
Thank you all for the great advice… I love fine dinning so I will look around to see the possibilities. Not a beer big fan, but thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely see the floor and I will scour the boards to see if I manage to at least do some gaming with the fine EN World people here.

I will definitely go to the ENnies that is the ONE thing set in stone. Don’t worry I bathe regularly and use deodorant, so no gamer funk from me. Here is looking forward to this great adventure.

On a non-gaming related note, how is the night live in Indianapolis. I just MUST sample some nightlife wherever I travel, so what is a good place to go, perhaps dance or listen to some music, locals any suggestions?

Question (and maybe I should ask that in the badge thread) do I just put my info, it get made, and then what? I print it here at home, how does that work out?

Everybody take care!

Remove ads