Gen Con Stories: Past and Present

dimsdale

First Post
As Gen Con draws closer and the fact that both of my games are going at a slow pace, mostly due to the recent Enworld commuter problems, I thought I would share a Gen Con related story with everyone.

The "Old School" Gen Con years used to be held in a college (I want to say University of Wisconsin Parkside) located in the city Kenosha (spelling) Wisconsin, not to far north of Chicago. A group of friends and I used to travel there for the event, playing D&D during the day and camping and more D&D during the night with other campers who set up camp in the same campground. Fun times were had by all.

One day I went to a local super market to get some rations, as it was my turn to find food for the group. I got what I needed and waited in line to check out. As the line moved along and it was close to my turn to check out, I was stunned to see a wizard in full dress standing two people in front of me paying for her groceries. She must of been at least 5th level judging from the enchanted equipement she was wearing. She had a pointy wizard hat and well used cloak...+2 protection I believe. I believe the wizard used a blink spell because I don't remember seeing her when I first got in line...very strange indeed.

It was then that I realized that there were many others who loved the game as much as myself...well...obviously the wizard must have loved the game a little more than me by having the guts to go to a story in full garb...but not by much.

That memory has stuck with me through the years. Has anyone else in this community met the weathered wizard at other Gen Cons or have an interesting story to share?

<laughing while writing this post :lol:>

I wonder what level the wizard is now? Is she still alive? Maybe she was eaten by a red dragon. I guess I'll never know.

renau1g

First Post
Unfortunately, I've not had the privelege to travel to the show. Maybe next year (laughing while I write this post....fat chance)

*sigh* if only I had the time to go :(

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
Gencon, if you're reading this, you should be there. It is everything you've heard and more.

costumed people, vendors for everything, and preview material.

dimsdale

First Post
It's been a long time since I went to one? I don't even know where they hold it now.

Now that you guys have posted a reply on this thread, I now have to got to the collection of records and delete a record titled: "First 4E Enworld member to post a thread that received zero replies."

I'll leave it up there for a few more days and then delete it. :)

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
hehe, was this posted during the slow fest?

It's held in indiana now, in the indiana convention center.

using both the center, and surrounding hotels to hold games. A huge area for vendors, and roving entertainment.

Almost 100 activities for spouses that have nothing to do with gaming.

and thousands of things for gamers to do, look at, and interact with.

Malanore

First Post
I've gone to previous gen con's but this has to be my new favorite Gen Con moment.

Wizards came out with a new D&D Ultimate Delve, 5 players, 45 minutes per encounter, 6 encounters, no extended rests.

5 archers, multi-classed shaman making a line of blockers, 4 hours of amazingly intense action followed by one of the best feelings in the world as you are announced throughout the ballroom as only the third group all weekend to complete the delve during the last slot knowing no one else is going to make it.

Malanore

First Post
Ended up with the dragon annual not due out until next month and an RPGA reward card, but let's just say we didn't do it for the prizes. I'm still looking for the "Delve Hall of Fame" we are supposed to be entered into. The group name is F-STL if you happen to find it.

Remove ads