• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gen Con Takes Stand For Inclusiveness

This rather breaks all my rules, in that I'm reporting on politics, and regional politics at that. That said, Gen Con, the hobby's largest American convention, intersects with this particular example, so it's hard to ignore; and this is an RPG news blog, after all. Plus, I agree with the sentiment, even if I'm doubtful about its actual effectiveness given the current contract. Gen Con has written to the local politician in its home city of Indianapolis, USA, threatening (kind of - they're contracted to stay there for five more years whether they like it or not) to consider moving elsewhere if a local law relating to businesses being able to refuse custom to same-sex couples is passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This rather breaks all my rules, in that I'm reporting on politics, and regional politics at that. That said, Gen Con, the hobby's largest American convention, intersects with this particular example, so it's hard to ignore; and this is an RPG news blog, after all. Plus, I agree with the sentiment, even if I'm doubtful about its actual effectiveness given the current contract. Gen Con has written to the local politician in its home city of Indianapolis, USA, threatening (kind of - they're contracted to stay there for five more years whether they like it or not) to consider moving elsewhere if a local law relating to businesses being able to refuse custom to same-sex couples is passed.

With multiple recent articles in just the last week (Monte Cook Games & Thunderplains, Green Ronin's Blue Rose), the subject of inclusiveness is not one that anybody can afford to ignore. However, the vitriolic comments these topics give rise to make discussion on them difficult at best.

Here's the letter they wrote.

gencon_letter.jpg

graypariah

First Post
This was a very interesting read this morning and I am glad that pretty much everyone was mature enough to handle the matter well.

That said, I will admit that I am torn. I agree completely that members of the LGBT community should be considered a protected class, but at the same time I also know that forcing people not to be intolerant only drives the intolerance deeper. The Civil Rights Acts were done with the best intentions, but now there is the sneaky intolerance of others that is different that is kept quiet and when it comes out the person claims that they are not truly intolerant. Perhaps I am not phrasing this well, but I am sure everyone knows what I speak of - the co-worker that makes racist comments and then when called on it claims they are not really a racist for example. You can't change the way people think with laws and forcing them to pretend to think differently only digs those thorns in deeper. How many generations since the 1960s were poisoned by their parents because their parents could only vent their ill-conceived hate in private with their family? It was very hard to change the values my parents instilled in me - to break the chain so to speak.

These issue can only be truly resolved with open discussion and positive reinforcement. In this case especially (I truly doubt more than a handful of businesses in a metropolitan area will risk the bad PR) I feel that changing the law will cause more harm than good in the long run.

Raistrox

First Post
I would think that if it's a business that's open to the public, they shouldn't be able to scare off or straight-up tell some would-be customers that they're not welcome there. It's part of being a business, your customers can be ANYBODY.

At least, that's how it should work in my mind. Apparently, my mind isn't on the same page as the actual laws.

Nellisir

Hero
I wouldn't mind if Gen Con came a little further east. How about Pittsburgh? Is PA cool?

I support Gen Con in this matter. Good for them for taking a stand.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
I think the largest problem with moving it is the lack of connected hotels, there are few other convention areas that are uniquely suited for how GenCon works.

pemerton

Legend
Politics should absolutely NOT be a factor in RPGs, it's already splintered fandom in Scifi/Fantasy Lit and video gaming. Social Justice hot topics may be gold for a twitter feed, but they're absolute poison at the cash register. Many people, understandably, don't want the stress and distraction from what should be an escape from all that.
I don't really see how you can keep politics out of social activities, particularly ones that involve making up stories about people, gods, worlds etc.

It's like politics should not be a factor in literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads