• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gen Con Takes Stand For Inclusiveness

This rather breaks all my rules, in that I'm reporting on politics, and regional politics at that. That said, Gen Con, the hobby's largest American convention, intersects with this particular example, so it's hard to ignore; and this is an RPG news blog, after all. Plus, I agree with the sentiment, even if I'm doubtful about its actual effectiveness given the current contract. Gen Con has written to the local politician in its home city of Indianapolis, USA, threatening (kind of - they're contracted to stay there for five more years whether they like it or not) to consider moving elsewhere if a local law relating to businesses being able to refuse custom to same-sex couples is passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This rather breaks all my rules, in that I'm reporting on politics, and regional politics at that. That said, Gen Con, the hobby's largest American convention, intersects with this particular example, so it's hard to ignore; and this is an RPG news blog, after all. Plus, I agree with the sentiment, even if I'm doubtful about its actual effectiveness given the current contract. Gen Con has written to the local politician in its home city of Indianapolis, USA, threatening (kind of - they're contracted to stay there for five more years whether they like it or not) to consider moving elsewhere if a local law relating to businesses being able to refuse custom to same-sex couples is passed.

With multiple recent articles in just the last week (Monte Cook Games & Thunderplains, Green Ronin's Blue Rose), the subject of inclusiveness is not one that anybody can afford to ignore. However, the vitriolic comments these topics give rise to make discussion on them difficult at best.

Here's the letter they wrote.

gencon_letter.jpg

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
EN World and GenCon need to stay out of politics.

While I endorse "The Grandma Rule" as a whole, we have to acknowedge that, (though we often imagine otherwise by our very nature) we live in the real-world; outside issues DO affect us, and our culture as gamers. And, as a community, it's up to us be able to discuss these matters civilly, realizing that others may disagree with us (and vice-versa.)

And It's raelly about business as least as much as it is about politics and ideologies; I'm sure this was a carefully measured act on GenCon's part, and I'm sure that business/money factored into the decision to take this stand as much as a desire for inclusiveness.

shadowva

First Post
The problem with that is that in that sort of system, the majority and/or the powerful are more "equal" than everyone else. The tyranny of the majority allows them to push out anyone not like them. History is full of this sort of thing. Protected classes are protected because history has shown that if they aren't, they are discriminated against and victimized. As LGBTQ people are being right this very moment.

You have mentioned 'tyranny of the majority' a couple times, but that's what you're advocating. The majority is passing the law to force the business owner to perform a service they do not wish. It may be seen by different people as 'good' or 'bad' but still the state using force to have the business provide the service.

TrainedMunkey

First Post
Unfortunately we can't usually look past our own upbringing and fears.

I had a rather liberal upbringing and do not fear the LGBT community.

I tend to have pity for and try to understand those who live in fear rather than ridicule them.

I am proud of my community that they would take a step in the direction of acceptance rather than fear.

I did serve with the Marine Corps, I am a white male and I like women. I have seen both sides of the coin. With the exception of being a part of the LGBT community.

Also being a geek, I have to end with, "Fear is the mind Killer."

delericho

Legend
Good to see GenCon taking a stand.

That said, count me amongst those who are uneasy at ENWorld violating its own "no politics" rule here, even if in a good cause.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
You have mentioned 'tyranny of the majority' a couple times, but that's what you're advocating. The majority is passing the law to force the business owner to perform a service they do not wish. It may be seen by different people as 'good' or 'bad' but still the state using force to have the business provide the service.

I think you missed the initial context of the conversation. Indiana is passing a law making it legal for businesses to refuse service on religious grounds, AKA permission to discriminate. The state is doing pretty much the opposite of what you just said, though your phrasing leaves out the underlying bigotry that motivates laws like this.

shadowva

First Post
I meant state in the general, government, definition, not the State of Indiana. Though the State is only responding to judicial actions in regard to business owners. The ADA clause regarding business owners which some would have expanded to other 'classes' is tyranny of the major against the business owners. They may be 'bad' business owners with outdated ideals, but they are still losing their freedom of association.

goatunit

Explorer
Just want to lend my voice to the chorus of support. For all the (often deserved) bad reputation that gamers have for being especially reactionary, there are few hobbies where the actual industry leadership is so progressive and open.

Excelsior!

redrick

First Post
Not really wanting to be a bore but do you realize that Europe is a Continent and politics are Country wise? I can say then that you in America (the continent) are all the same, and it is a big big World...
Haha, fair. I specifically meant France and Germany. It is very interesting to talk to Germans about free speech, as Nazism is wholly outlawed there.

But yeah, I know that Europe is a big place with lots of different countries with different laws, attitudes and cultures. To be fair, we sometimes say, "in America" when we really just mean, "in Missouri."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads