• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Genasi Speculation and Predictions

Remathilis

Legend
So in about a month, we get our first official new race* for fifth edition: the Genasi.

Genasi first saw print in the Planeswalker Handbook as a collection of four elemental-themed planetouched. They weren't exactly a Planescape mainstay (compared to tieflings and bariaurs) but they were popular. However, starting with Monsters of Faerun, genasi became tied to the Forgotten Realms. They made appearances in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (as a PC race, along with fellow PS alumni aasimar and tieflings) and again in Races of Faerun. (Although unlike aasimar and tieflings, never made the jump to the core setting. Oddly, also they never made it to the Planar Handbook). Fourth Edition seemed to carry on the tradition by making genasi a Realms-exclusive** race in the Player's Guide.

In 2e and 3e, they were half-humanoid, half elemental (commonly genie) born from a single classical element (air, earth, fire, water). Each was a separate race, with unique ability score mods, abilities (typically a spell-like ability and some form of resistance), and restrictions. (In 2e, they also had different class restrictions; earth genasi could be paladins, fire genasi wizards, and air genasi bards for example). Typically, they were viewed a haughty and arrogant by others, but otherwise had no universal set of traits (again, each element varied: earth genasi were slow and ponderous, fire were quick and hot-tempered, etc).

Like many "hybrid" races, genasi got a revamped origin and powerset come 4e. Genasi was one race, but came with different powers (called souls) that colored their appearance and racial powers. They had a universal set of ability bumps (Str and Int) and had a general "look" that was shared (dealing with crystaline hair and markings on their skin). Unlike before, there were now five default souls (wind, water, fire, earth, and storm) and genasi could potentially manifest more than one (though never at the same time).

(As a side note: Pathfinder had their own "genasi" of sorts. Four races, sylphs, ifrits, oreads, and undines, were all functionally like 2e/3e genasi. The details differed, but the concept was the same).

So with all that history, where do you see 5e genasi heading? Genie-born or elemental manifesting? Separate races or subraces? Four, five, or more types? What's your idea of how the genasi is going to work?

* Well, ignoring the sample races in the DMG and the obviously not-yet-finished Eberron conversions
** As much as anything in 4e was.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Probably using the sub-race concept, which is more robust in5E than 4E. Something like the Dragonbirn or the Shifters.

As to flavor, time will tell, but the genies got big screen time in the Monster Manual...

Dire Bare

Legend
I'd like to see a single Genasi race, with four (or five) subraces. But I like the 2E style race rather than the 4E version personally. The 4E genasi were too alien, I prefer the human "touched" by planar forces idea much better.

To add to your "history" of genasi, there was a fun article in Dragon during 4E that added corrupted souls as PC options, and that might be fun for the Elemental Evil storyline! Also, I remember the FFG DragonStar campaign had their own take on genasi too, the "elem".

Question, in Pathfinder, do the four genasi-like races have a term, like genasi, that covers all four races?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Question, in Pathfinder, do the four genasi-like races have a term, like genasi, that covers all four races?
Not per se, although their descriptions all use the adjective description "planetouched native outsider race."

I expect subraces of "genasi" or "genie-kin." As usual, they'll try to fit all of the 2E, 3E, and 4E parts in together; that means instead of hair they'll have crystals.

Remathilis

Legend
I'd like to see a single Genasi race, with four (or five) subraces. But I like the 2E style race rather than the 4E version personally. The 4E genasi were too alien, I prefer the human "touched" by planar forces idea much better.

To add to your "history" of genasi, there was a fun article in Dragon during 4E that added corrupted souls as PC options, and that might be fun for the Elemental Evil storyline! Also, I remember the FFG DragonStar campaign had their own take on genasi too, the "elem".

I was going to mention Dragon having expanded both 3e (para and quasi genasi) and 4e (corrupted) but figured it was getting a bit long. Since that very tertiary anyway, I didn't expect them to be part of 5es.

As far as I know, there is no "blanket" term for the elemental native outsiders. They are listed separately both in Bestiary 2 (their monster origin) and Advanced Race Guide (PC stats expanded). In my game, I still used "genasi" to describe them as a whole, but that is unofficial.

painted_klown

First Post
In 2e and 3e, they were half-humanoid, half elemental (commonly genie) born from a single classical element (air, earth, fire, water). Each was a separate race, with unique ability score mods, abilities (typically a spell-like ability and some form of resistance), and restrictions. (In 2e, they also had different class restrictions; earth genasi could be paladins, fire genasi wizards, and air genasi bards for example). Typically, they were viewed a haughty and arrogant by others, but otherwise had no universal set of traits (again, each element varied: earth genasi were slow and ponderous, fire were quick and hot-tempered, etc).
If I had to venture a guess (and that's exactly what this is), I would say this is the closest to what we will see when the Genasi arrive in 5E.

It makes the most sense as far as the layout of the PHB and how races are being handled.

Have Genasi be the "main race" that gives you a stat boost somewhere. Make air, earth, fire, and water the sub races, and they will give you a stat bonus that fits their respective traits.

My only real change from the quoted section, would be to have no restriction on the class you can choose. That feels a bit restrictive IMO, and makes the race the "odd man out" where this is concerned.

IMO, YMMV, Etc.

EvanNave55

Explorer
I figure it will be one "Genasi" race with four subraces as that's exactly the feel of 5e, though I have no idea what the shared traits could be. I also think they'll be "plane touched" or mostly human with elemental ancestors, same as Tieflings and Aasimar.

I want 2e style half elementals, but I want a handful of them not just 4. Air, Earth, Fire, Water are needed, but Lighting (storm) and Lava would both be great.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads