• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Genasi Speculation and Predictions

Shemeska

Adventurer
Ideally they'll move back to the flavor of 2e/3e and largely ignore the 4e race's existence if cohesion of the lore is the desired outcome. However it would probably be worth adding in some ambiguous flavor text to allow for additional variants beyond the four cardinal elements (so as not to exclude things such as the 4e genasi).

S

Sunseeker

I would prefer them to be representative of the elemental planes, not djinn-based. Subraces would work fine for me though.

I hope they go with a 4E-leaning implementation, where genasi have a ton of variety. I'm quite sure it's too much to hope for, but I'd really like a unified genasi race (no racial animosity between elements), where every genasi belongs to one of the four primary elements, but then gets one secondary ability or set of abilities based on a primary-, para-, or quasi-element. Four different subraces, but sixteen different powers.

Actually, to hell with it. This is what I want, so I'll just make my own anyway.

Ideally they'll move back to the flavor of 2e/3e and largely ignore the 4e race's existence if cohesion of the lore is the desired outcome.
"Cohesion of lore" should never be more than a secondary goal.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I whipped up a bunch of genasi as a sub-race/sub-races of planetouched in my Planescape conversion, which basically took the 5e tiefling template and applied it to a bunch of stuff.

If I were to do them as 4 (or more) subraces of a single Genasi race, I'd probably make their abilities a little more distinct than spells. Maybe something like...

Genasi

Wind Duke or Duchess
Ability Score Increase: +2 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence
Mingling with the Wind: An air genasi never takes falling damage. Once per day, an air genasi can fly up to their speed during their movement.

Stone Prince or Princess
Ability Score Increase: +2 Strength, +1 Constitution
Merging with the Stone: An earth genasi does not leave a trail in mud or earth when they walk. Once per day, an earth genasi can halve the damage they take from a single attack.

Flame Lord or Lady
Ability Score Increase: +2 Intelligence
Reaching to the Blaze: A fire genasi can cause one nearby source of fire to burn twice as bright, or simply snuff out, as a bonus action on their turn. A fire genasi also deals 1d6 extra fire damage with any melee attack they make.

Sea King or Queen
Ability Score Increase: +2 Constitution
Calling to the Wave: A water genasi has a swim speed equal to their land speed, can breathe water, and does not need to drink. Additionally, as a bonus action on their turn, a water genasi can make a saving throw against all effects that grapple or restrain them.

Life Emperor or Empress
Ability Score Increase: +2 Wisdom
Joining with the Soul: A soul genasi's maximum hit point total increases by 5, and they can fail a death save only on a 5 or less. A soul genasi does not need to eat or drink.

...or somesuch.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
A bit of info...

WotC's FB page posted a pic of an upcoming Elemental Evil figure called a "Air Genasi Rogue"

10362640_10153038249921071_759289996781571044_n.jpg

What that tells us is

a.) They are using the old names (Air genasi vs. Windsoul)
b.) They are using the more classical elemental appearance vs. crystaline/patterned look.

Looking like they will be patterned off 2e/3e era, with maybe a nod to 4e (if any).

Herschel

Adventurer
The 4E take was my favorite race in the game ever. That would be my hope.]

I like the dozen+ subraces we eventually had, being able to conform to any of the worlds/planes the adventure occured. I'd expect Wind/Fire/Earth/Water and maybe Storm initially.

Last edited:

lvl20dm

Explorer
I really liked the 2e era, with the genasi being almost whimsical and highly varied in appearance. An Air genasi might be pale with hair that's always whipped by wind, or they might have feathers instead of hair. I suspect the Aasimar and Tiefling are a good look at what kinds of abilities they will have.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads