• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Genasi Warden/Swordmage? need advice

Wepwawet

Explorer
So, some time ago I built a Genasi Barbarian who comes from a desert and manifests Firesoul and Earthsoul.
In this campaign there's me, a Shadar-Kai Rogue, a Shifter Beastmaster Ranger and a Bard. Last session the Bard missed and we almost had a TPK. That's when I noticed we're all strikers! (seriously..)

The DM let's me rework it into a defender, as long as I don't change his background and I keep the character as similiar as possible.
So now, I have a Genasi Warden. It's the same character, it just changes his fighting style.

The stats are the same as the Barbarian's:
Str: 18, Con: 16, Dex: 8, Int: 14, Wis: 12, Cha: 10
The Dex and Int are for role-playing reasons, and to take advantage of the Genasi intellect (Reflex basically, and more points to Wis)
The first feat is Extra Manifestation (RP)

I was thinking of MC into barbarian to get some extra damage 1/day (also he used to be one).
But with 14 Int, why not Swordmage MC? 1/day I get a nice bonus to AC, which I need, since I hate using shields. Even more if I use a one-handed weapon..

BTW, I love atypical builds :)

Could you give some advice?
Is Blade Initiate that useful?
Is it useful to use a versatile on-handed sword because of the +3 to AC?
If I use a polearm (melee control) is a +1 to AC good enough to take this feat?
Which Swordmage utility powers could be useful for a Warden?

Last edited:

Herschel

Adventurer
A 14 INT simply isn't all that great for the Swordmage MC. All you get for teh feat is the 1/day AC boost and a power that likely won't hit anything if you use it. With your stats I'd probably just go Fighter. If you can modify his stats a bit, go 16/16 STR/INT (18/18 after Racial Mods) and go Fighter (Tempest Technique) with a Swordmage multiclass maybe. The Spiked Chain gets treated as a light blade (daggers) IIRC from the feat.

Either that or Hybrid fighter/swordmage with that build. You'll borrow from Con a little but your defenses will be generally higher than the barbarian's. Dual Strike and Lightning Lure would be a lot of fun for at-wills and Dragon's Teeth is a fun Daily.

The only thing is Dual Manifestation, Hybrid Talent and Spiked Chain are your first three proficiencies.

Last edited:

jabberwocky

First Post
Multiclassing to Genasi is fine, as long as you remember to only take stance-type powers if you want to do multi-class power swaps. Blade Initiate is okay, though if you were looking to use a versatile weapon for possible one-handed use, you might as well have a heavy shield anyways. That way you ahve a +2 defense all day, and an additional +1 when you activate the swordmage warding (which means that your AC that encounter will eb as good as if you had gotten the +3). So I would suggest bastard sword and heavy shield.

Wepwawet

Explorer
Yeah, the only power I'll swap is a utility power. There are some nice teleportations or stances.

Bastard sword has to be the best weapon, but shields... I just don't like them.
I'll rethink my position if I die two times in the same session (with 16 AC it's too probable, right? :p)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads