GenCon Badges - with Name or not with Name, that's the Q.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
EricNoah said:
I don't think badges are about security, I think they're about money. As long as X number of badges are sold and only X number of people show up, that's all they're worried about, I think.

Perhaps true from the perspective of WotC. *shrug* The security of the convention center lies in other hands, though. I'd be curious to know how many conventions require tags with names, and how many feel their security isn't in jeopardy enough to require the precaution.

Nevertheless, the real bite is not being able to see a name and make the association with the face of the person to whom you are speaking. Even when I get someone's name from them, I find it is easier to remember a name when I have seen it in writing on the tag they wear at these types of events. There's a whole lot of folks meeting each other in a very short period of time.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Gentle reminder: no gun debate. That way lies madness.

I also prefer names on the badges, but it must save them a bajillion hours of manpower (and a whole lot of cash and logistical headaches) not to print them that way. I'll probably put a label on mine.

- Piratecat

Mark

Piratecat said:
Gentle reminder: no gun debate. That way lies madness.

I also prefer names on the badges, but it must save them a bajillion hours of manpower (and a whole lot of cash and logistical headaches) not to print them that way. I'll probably put a label on mine.

- Piratecat

I suppose that's ture. I'll do the same with the name.

The other little tip is to use a hole punch to put a couple of holes toward the ends of the badge, run the chain through them both so the badge doesn't always turn over. It's a pain to have to keep messing with it if your hands are full and the security team needs to see the one side. :)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Had my Badge in two days, FedX, no name.

Damn big badge too. Would like to think names are to be added by label and maybe something to hang it from at GENCON.

Coik

First Post
Well, according to the email I received, the badge was shipped by FedEx three-day. So assuming they shipped it on Tuesday, it should have been here yesterday.

Marvelous. The annual frustration and stupidity starts six months early this year. Assuming I send CustServ an email today in addition to calling and spending the next 18 hours on hold, I might get my badge before the end of May...

:):):):), they must lose my stuff on purpose...

Last edited:

Coik

First Post
I was home from noon onward. No one stopped by, and there weren't any of those "We were here buy you weren't" things anywhere (well, UPS uses those if you need to sign for something, I would assume FedEx would too), so...

Mark

I wouldn't frustrate yourself by trying to deal with it on the weekend. You'll have better luck on Monday. *shrug*

Remove ads