GenCon check-in/check-out/scratchpad thread

Matchstick

Adventurer
I'm back at home after an excellent weekend at Gen Con. Luckily the Northwest strike didn't effect my flight home at all.

The big winner product-wise for me was Iron Heroes. An exceptional system. Five out of five stars.

I got to meet quite a few ENWorlders, and was lucky enough to play in two Piratecat games, both of which were fantastic. For my first Gen Con in probably 20+ years, it was a weekend to remember. Right now there's no doubt in my mind that this is going to become an annual trip for me.

I'd like to throw a huge thanks out to everyone I met for being so nice to a lurker like me, and especially to all those I gamed with, including Spider (get 'em Ray!), Pielerenho (I know that's spelled wrong, but thanks for the cookies!), Rel (would Eric's grandma approve of Mace's vocabulary?), Raevynn (martini sir?), and Sidereal Knight (whose French accent was far better than I could have done). Anyone I gamed with that's not on that list, please realize that's not a reflection of my opinion of you (which couldn't be higher) it's simply evidence that my memory for names, even online names, isn't good at all. Major thanks to Piratecat who played a major part in making my gaming weekend so great. It has been years since I've played even a single session of an RPG, you ENWorlders were low pressure and fun and I felt more comfortable gaming after that long layoff than I ever thought would be possible.

I will see you next year!

:D

Fyrestryke

Explorer
Psion said:
Friday night. Do you know where your favorite publishers are? ;)

I know that my new favorite publishers were at the ENnies. What a blast that was! My new favorite publishers are Ghostwind, Black Industries, and Sabertooth Games (not sure they're actually a publisher?, but doesn't matter ;) ). They took me in when my former favorite publisher (Mongoose) didn't show. The ENnies were awesome and I'm glad I supported them.

Overall a great time at GenCon, can't wait for next year. My plan is to be more active at ENWorld so I can meet even more great people in person and volunteer to help with the ENnies next year. :cool:

The_Universe

First Post
We have returned to Silver Spring, with nearly a suitcase more gaming goodness than we had when we left.

Also there are the memories, but being non-material we were able to include them in our carry-on luggage.

The Ennies were (far and away) the best they've ever been, much to Piratecat and Michael_Morris's credit(s). We met a ton of ENworlders and had a blast with each and every one of them.

Lastly, I can only say that I learned the terrible truth - Mr. Nock's real alternate identity is not, in fact, RangerWickett - it's Wanger Rickett.

Crothian

First Post
Great Con. Too many really good books that I didn't get.

Hot item: Mutants and Mastermind 2, Shadowrun 4e, Mage, Serenity, Sword of Thrones, and Order of the Stick.

I'm sure there were others, but those were the big lines I saw daily. I did love that I got to pick up 2 M&M2 books before the dealer room opened Thursday morning, course both of them went to EN Worlders.

Crothian said:
I did love that I got to pick up 2 M&M2 books before the dealer room opened Thursday morning, course both of them went to EN Worlders.

:D Thanks, Crothian! Though I don't think they ever sold out, Kennon and I really appreciated the fact that you were generous enough to pick it up for us just in case! :D

DaveStebbins

First Post
Returned a few hours ago and had an absolute blast at my first GenCon. I met so many wonderful people, more than I can remember and name. The ENnies were great, a hearty well-done to everyone involved. My big-ticket purchases were the Wilderlands Boxed Set and the Shackled City hardcover.

I described the dealer room to a friend as a football-field sized toy store that only carries the good stuff. My firend Tonya and I spent all day Thursday there. We made a brief appearance at Canadiana Wednesday evening, went to dinner and were too tired (mostly due to the seven and a half hour drive) to return. We both had a blast at Rel's ORCZ adventure Thursday night. The ENnies Friday were excellent and we had a blast at the RG afterward. We were so beat by Saturday that we decided to take it easy. We went on a walking tour of downtown Indianapolis and didn't do much else. We decided to watch a movie or two Saturday evening instead of going out and were zonked by 11, which was a good thing because we had a long drive home today. We had an excellent time and are both hoping we can swing the bucks to come back next year with more of our gaming group.

-Dave

Crothian

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
:D Thanks, Crothian! Though I don't think they ever sold out, Kennon and I really appreciated the fact that you were generous enough to pick it up for us just in case! :D

I heard they did sale out but they got resupplied, but at the very least I saved you from a potentially long line :D

romp

First Post
Cutter XXIII said:
Yggsburgh available?

Anyone?

;)

yeah i saw it there, and fondled it lovingly, but i have way toooo many setting books already and car suspension was going to protest ...

Best purchase - Dogs in the Vineyard (indie RPG from the Forge booth) Holy Mackerel! is this thing good, I may run this next year for the ENworld people, along with something else...

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
romp said:
I may run this next year for the ENworld people, along with something else...

Then reserve a spot at your table for me, pretty please. I didn't get to game with you this year, and in fact we only spoke in passing. Next year, we have to game together!

reveal

Adventurer
Buttercup said:
Then reserve a spot at your table for me, pretty please. I didn't get to game with you this year, and in fact we only spoke in passing. Next year, we have to game together!

Since I'm planning on going next year, how long in advance do people usually schedule games? :)

Remove ads