• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GenCon - Decision Day

Swiftbrook

First Post
It's decision day. Tomorrow we all start registering for our GenCon trips and I'm making my final plans today. So, I need some help from GenCon veterans. I've gone to GenCon several times every few years for a day or so. Last year I went for one day (Thursday) on a last minute trip. It was a blast! This year I'm planning for 2 days, Thursday & Friday. This will allow me to:

1) sign up for True Dungeon (could not get tickets on site last year)
2) get into a Living Greyhawk game insead of begging with generic tickets
3) not cram everything into one day (I'm not getting younger and I'm not a teenager any more)

So here's my problem. I can go to a LG game from 8 to 1 and the dealer hall from 1 to 6 OR to the dealer hall from 10 to 12:30 and a LG game from 1 to 6. Which is better? Last year I had a LG game at 8:00 am on Thursday. When I got to the dealer room about 1:00, many companies freebies were already gone. Also, I had trouble getting into demo games (long lines, times already signed up for). On the other hand, the dealer room doesn't open until 10:00, and my first game would be at 1:00. I'd lose the 2 hours of gaming from 8 to 10 and 2 hours in the dealer room. My Friday is already pretty full. I don't have a large block of time in the dealer room, only time to go back and buy something and to take a brief look at what I may have missed.

What are your suggestions? Do you have a plan of attack for the dealer room at GenCon?

-Swiftbrook

IronWolf

blank
I would do the LG game from 8am to 1 and then hit the dealer room. I like swag, but its not a be all or end all for me. I would rather have a more leisurely trip through the dealer room than trying to cram it into 2 hours in order to make it to the game.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I think it ultimately doesn't matter. I like SWAG, too, but most of it is just junk that I never really look through. I can think of very little swag (the free D&D mini, for example) that was worth a damned.

Remove ads