• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GenCon Drawing?

crazyred

First Post
Hey there! I was considering doing some doodles at GenCon this year. Anyone out there ever done art at a convention, GenCon or otherwise? I'm wondering if it would be a positive experience or not.

Thanks!

Nytmare

David Jose
I used to do miniature painting at Gencon a million years ago, and have had a handful of friends who regularly work the art tables at both Gencon and Dragoncon. I've heard plenty of complaints but honestly, nine times out of ten, the person doing the complaining is usually whining about something that's their own fault.

I can't imagine that you wouldn't find it a worthwhile experience. You're far too talented to be overlooked, regardless of how crappy a booth you get stuck in.

Depending on what you're looking for, and how much space you want, I might be able to hook you into a couple of people who like to double up and share booth space with each other.

crazyred

First Post
You painted minis in a booth? Wow. Sir, I salute you.

Thanks for the encouraging words Nytmare. I've only ever been on the other side of the table, but figure I need to start somewhere, right?

Nytmare

David Jose
I used to work the Thunderbolt Mountain booth and we had a table on the side where a couple of us painted/modded minis and took orders that we would then ship back to people. Mostly it was stuff like Warhammer or 15mm historical armies, but there were a couple of single pieces and chess sets thrown in for good measure.

This is also, unfortunately, where I had four huge Warhammer armies stolen (two of mine and two that I had been working on) along with a tackle box filled with individual Battletech and D&D minis.

Oddly enough, that is also the exact point where I gave up on collecting and painting minis entirely.

crazyred

First Post
Ouch! Well, I gotta say, that kinda sounds like an un-rewarding experience. Sorry, what a colossal drag. Hope you pick up the brush again soon.:)

Nytmare

David Jose
That was about 15 years ago, I'm lucky I remember what a brush looks like. Plus they've invented computers and Photoshop since then.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads