• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gencon, WOTC, and D20 Modern

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Anyone else notice the distinct lack of D20 Modern material at Gencon '06?
I know five people who went to the WOTC booth to buy a core book for D20 Modern and another few who went to talk about the product line. WOTC failed to bring any D20 Modern books with them to sell/promote and their agents there refused (refused!) to discuss anything about the product line but instead trying to steer people to crappy Dreamblade or to D&D products.

It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence toward the continuing product line if the manufacturer won't even talk about it at a trade show and refuses to sell any product related to it.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Henry said:
Interesting, considering it's a pretty darned good rules system.
Unfortunately, that doesn't always translate to most popular or hottest selling line. Methink WotC spent most of their marketing budget toward D&D or gambling on the new Dreamblade line.

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Henry said:
Interesting, considering it's a pretty darned good rules system.

I'm certainly not bashing D20 Modern..I love it...it was the centerpiece system of all the Con events I played...6 events all using D20 Modern.
I just wish its parent company didn't treat it like a bastard child.

Roudi

First Post
This is especially strange, with d20 Dark*Matter imminent next month. You'd think they'd be trying to drum up excitement for the re-release of one of their best settings?

DonTadow

First Post
Nah, Wotc has a marketing budget too and they weren't really pushing old product at the convention. I think Wotc's streategy was to bring stuff that is going to be released soon and only enough to wet the appetite.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
At the last gencon I went too, (2 years ago) they had SEPTEMBER products for sale at the booth as a "suprise" for Con attendants.

I bought an Eberron Book and a Monster book right then there.

Vigilance

Explorer
Kheti sa-Menik said:
Anyone else notice the distinct lack of D20 Modern material at Gencon '06?

I cant speak for WOTC, I know we had two d20 Modern games with adventures written specifically for Gen Con running (adventures now available from RPGNow).

So for us at least there seemed plenty of interest... it does seem strange that WOTC wouldnt talk about it with dark matter so close.

Chuck

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads