General Discussion Thread II

rgordona

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
HoV seems to be more lenient than I am with certain things (no save powers, etc) while rgordona is incredibly strict)

Thanks, I will take that as a compliment. I tend to think of myself as easy going but the moment I look at specific example I see that I do like to keep things very much by the book. Raylis is a lot more relaxed and I am sure he and HoV will keep me balanced. (I am glad I am not doing character approvals)

HoV I'll be sending you the update for Mr Jones soonish, its nearly done.

Last edited:

Hand of Vecna

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Hmmm...interesting choices--from what I've seen, I think you've picked a very good balance of Judges (Or at least, if we assume that I am somewhere in the middle--HoV seems to be more lenient than I am with certain things (no save powers, etc) while rgordona is incredibly strict)
Eh? How is asking whether or not the No Save Extra is allowed being lenient?

Rystil Arden

First Post
rgordona said:
Thanks, I will take that as a compliment. I tend to think of myself as easy going but the moment I look at specific example I see that I do like to keep things very much by the book. Raylis is a lot more relaxed and I am sure he and HoV will keep me balanced. (I am glad I am not doing character approvals)

HoV I'll be sending you the update for Mr Jones soonish, its nearly done.
Don't worry--it was. Every panel of judges needs its 'Simon Cowell', especially for a shared world like this, or else you wind up with the kitchen sink and craziness. In some ways, I often play a similar role on the other two living worlds by holding a vote on contentious topics that the other judges quickly approve.

HoV said:
Eh? How is asking whether or not the No Save Extra is allowed being lenient?

I said more lenient than me ;) I dunno, it's not just that one thread. In general I've seen you pushing to allow things I wouldn't necessarily allow in a living world, and I've seen rgordona speaking for very strict constructionist views for what should be allowed compared to what I would do in a Supers game (I figure it should be more fast and loose with supers).

Now, it isn't at all bad to be more lenient than me. If everyone was super-strict, we'd never have innovation or new things and we'd just get a bunch of heroes that were near-carbon copies of the iconics in the main book.

So that's why I think the new judge choices were good--it's a balance ;)

rgordona

Explorer
Salix said:
Stormwind's proposal tracking thread http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=3402326&postcount=925

Hotlinks to proposals can be found at original post

HOV- Good News!

Hmm, was this a hint that the new Judges should be voting on the old proposals in order to clear them up? I thought it might be but then I looked back and there are definitely times in some of the older ones where someone (H4H?) says they can not vote because the proposal was issued before they became a Judge.

[And I really don't see myself as Simon Scowl even if I do have the accent. The money would be nice though)

Hand of Vecna

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I said more lenient than me ;) I dunno, it's not just that one thread. In general I've seen you pushing to allow things I wouldn't necessarily allow in a living world, and I've seen rgordona speaking for very strict constructionist views for what should be allowed compared to what I would do in a Supers game (I figure it should be more fast and loose with supers).
I don't really see any of my proposals as pushing for anything, just asking whether or not they'd be allowed (especially since it was decided not to automatically assume everyone has access to ULTIMATE POWER, so anything taken from it would need to be Proposed). (Does "pushing" mean the same as "asking" nowadays? Dang kids and their newfangled slang....)

I do try to be balanced & fair, though. Been doing RPGs in play-by-post form for over a decade, both as layer and GM, and I like to think I've picked up a few kernels of wisdom in how to do it. Though I guess I do sorta subscribe to the "give players enough rope to hang themselves with" mode of Judging ;)

Rystil Arden said:
Now, it isn't at all bad to be more lenient than me. If everyone was super-strict, we'd never have innovation or new things and we'd just get a bunch of heroes that were near-carbon copies of the iconics in the main book.
Innovation is definitely a needed thing for these types of games. Well, heck, for any RPG with more than a handful of PCs, really.

Speaking of you -- and by "you" I mean your character Sierra/Circe -- I personally think whoever approved her was a tad too lenient, since I don't think Devices are allowable as Alternate Powers to inherent/non-Device powers.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Speaking of you -- and by "you" I mean your character Sierra/Circe -- I personally think whoever approved her was a tad too lenient, since I don't think Devices are allowable as Alternate Powers to inherent/non-Device powers.

Not to derail, but just as an aside if you mean in the 'still have something to do with that array when disarmed of the first device' sense, I think they were all good with it because we have precedent from one of our earliest heroes (Gun Monkey) for having alternates that were each a separate device (in Gun Monkey's case, they were both basically the same device, and the point of the alt was solely to make him harder to disarm), so I guess from having alts that are each their own device, there isn't really a leap to alts that are a separate device and some that aren't. And it especially makes sense for a magic character who has innate power but can get different or better results through foci. The classic example would be a Wizard who needs his staff to use his best magic (Martin will be rewritten to look like this some time soon)--he might have Device with say, 10 ranks in Variable magic for when he has his staff, and then as an alt, Device with 6 ranks in Variable magic.

Last edited:

Salix

First Post
rgordona said:
Hmm, was this a hint that the new Judges should be voting on the old proposals in order to clear them up? I thought it might be but then I looked back and there are definitely times in some of the older ones where someone (H4H?) says they can not vote because the proposal was issued before they became a Judge.

[And I really don't see myself as Simon Scowl even if I do have the accent. The money would be nice though)

You can vote on any proposal you didn't propose. It'll be nice to clean some stuff up.

Hand of Vecna

First Post
Asmor, I've sent you on e-mail with some questions re: J-SIN, via the EN*World e-mail system. Hopefully it got through!

Rystil Arden said:
Not to derail, but just as an aside if you mean in the 'still have something to do with that array when disarmed of the first device' sense, I think they were all good with it because we have precedent from one of our earliest heroes (Gun Monkey) for having alternates that were each a separate device (in Gun Monkey's case, they were both basically the same device, and the point of the alt was solely to make him harder to disarm), so I guess from having alts that are each their own device, there isn't really a leap to alts that are a separate device and some that aren't.
Gun Monkey's case isn't precedent, though, not for what you've got with Circe, since GM's things are all still Devices. And I would say it is a leap to go from "Devices as alts of one another" to "Devices as alts for non-Device things."

If Circe's Ring and Diamond were Restricted to only Circe, I could sorta see it. But as written now, they're not, so anyone who takes them could use them, and in so doing prevent her from using any of her other powers (since those points have to come from/go somewhere).

Also, I'm not sure Gun Monkey's alternate/back-up Gun should work that way. There is no mechanic for having duplicate items on hand in M&M, AFAIK (I do know there's a rule for that in the HERO System... but M&M is not the HERO System, even if there are some similarities). I do recall that that was how it's been suggested to do Tony Stark's alternate Iron Man armors, by having them be alternate powers off the main Device itself, but cannot remember if that was shot down or not. Since I'm not 100% sure, I'm asking the folks at ATT, here.

Rystil Arden said:
And it especially makes sense for a magic character who has innate power but can get different or better results through foci. The classic example would be a Wizard who needs his staff to use his best magic (Martin will be rewritten to look like this some time soon)--he might have Device with say, 10 ranks in Variable magic for when he has his staff, and then as an alt, Device with 6 ranks in Variable magic.
Depends on how you look at it. I'd see something like that as being built as the fully ranked power, with a Partial Flaw Limited the use of the higher ranks to only when you have the item in hand, or as a Power Loss drawback (as is done with gestures and incantations).

Plus, neither of Circe's Devices do the sort of "power enhancing" you mention, they seem to be wholly their own things. They're not boosting her effective ranks in anything, not adding any Extras or Powers Feats or offsetting any Flaws or Drawbacks, and as mentioned being non-Restricted, anyone could wear and use them.

(As an aside, why does her Diamond have Strike on it? Does she wallop bad guys on the head with it?
And why does the Ring grant Attack Focus Melee/Ranged rather than a flat-out increase to BAB?
Also, form a purely keeping-names-straight standpoint, all those feats it grants should be bundled together as Enhanced Feats [ex.: Enhanced Feats 4 (Fascinate/Diplomacy 4), or Enhanced Feats 5/6 (Attack Focus Melee/Ranged, Power Attack, Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, All Out Attack).])

Since I don't like making rulings (or even giving advice/criticism) solely on my own "gut instinct," though, I am posing this to the folks at the ATT, here, and seeing what the consensus is over there. If it turns out such things are fully allowable, then I'll be cool about it.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Since I don't like making rulings (or even giving advice/criticism) solely on my own "gut instinct," though, I am posing this to the folks at the ATT, here, and seeing what the consensus is over there. If it turns out such things are fully allowable, then I'll be cool about it.

Looking at your cross-post, the ring and the diamond are both easy to lose. Also, I suggest that you trim out the actual stat block and just ask the main thrust of the questions, since it is easy to get lost or just not keep reading when presented with such a large block (and people might start talking about something other than the topic you desire--frex, although the judges and I all checked, and the math comes out perfectly for the total character, when I looked at it again, I saw mistakes in the sub-sections that are the result of not updating each subsection for her extra PP from Iridium Con properly. She was much easier to read back then, actually. People might start commenting on those or not understand the nomenclature and get lost).

As for restricted, I forgot about that--I have a few things I don't really need on both of them, so I can just swap out say, Subtle on the Ring, for Restricted to magic users who can power the items.

Gun Monkey's case isn't precedent, though, not for what you've got with Circe, since GM's things are all still Devices. And I would say it is a leap to go from "Devices as alts of one another" to "Devices as alts for non-Device things."

If Circe's Ring and Diamond were Restricted to only Circe, I could sorta see it. But as written now, they're not, so anyone who takes them could use them, and in so doing prevent her from using any of her other powers (since those points have to come from/go somewhere).

By this logic, Gun Monkey couldn't fire his second gun if someone took the first one. I'm guessing that this is not the case.

Last edited:

Remove ads