General Discussion Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manzanita

First Post
My unscientific observation is that almost all the PCs are below the standard treasure level. Given that PCs are not generally adventuring with a party all the same level, there is no standard power level we are striving for. Erekose has a good point that if you're using a published adventure, it can be difficult to decide just what CR is appropriate for a party, not just b/c they're different levels, but b/c they're probably under-equiped per DnD standards.

I think suggesting that DMs try to vaguely keep up with standard treasure distribution, there's not much that can or should be done. Personally, I prefer to give unique magic items with a backstory. I'm not much into handing out +1 swords and sheilds. I think this is just going to be one of 'those things' about LEW.

Velmont

First Post
Manzanita said:
I think suggesting that DMs try to vaguely keep up with standard treasure distribution, there's not much that can or should be done. Personally, I prefer to give unique magic items with a backstory. I'm not much into handing out +1 swords and sheilds. I think this is just going to be one of 'those things' about LEW.

I like that. It gives more value to your magical item and make them more special. I remember a table top game where my 7th ranger had only one magical item, a set of ring, on going to your sword hand, teh other being on the hilt of your weapon. It was allowing you to quick draw the weapon, as the weapon teleport to his hand. Teh range was short, but it was fun to throw his short sword to have it back in hand, or to draw his weapon while bound by some web and unable to reach his sword sheat. Al that to tell that when you have few magical item, you generally prize more the items you received.

orsal

LEW Judge
The problem Erekose13 describes is probably connected to the fact that the wealth-by-level guidelines should work out in the long run, not necessarily on an adventure-by-adventure basis. In a traditional campaign, if the characters have been through a series of adventures without significant pecuniary reward, the DM should at some point compensate by having them hit the motherlode. In a living campaign, there's no way to co-ordinate that. I don't want to prescribe a particular quantity of treasure as a function of the difficulties involved in the adventures, because it limits DM flexibility, and it's unrealistic. The reward from an adventure shouldn't be too predictable, unless it's a straight-up fee-for-service arrangement. The upshot is, there should always be characters who don't get lucky economically, and it's somewhat random who they are.

Erekose13

Explorer
Yeah I know that its not likely that DMs will be or even should be responsible for managing wealth levels in a multi-level party especially when it comes to having a variety of levels in the same party. I dont really have any solutions to offer, sorry.

I think the hardest thing for me in ao'Thuir's latest adventure was to get to the end and have only 2 magic items to split among a party of 8 people. There was virtually no gold left after paying for the appraisals. I really wanted to argue that 2 people should get the items and the rest of us would get less. But it is hard to see that from a players perspective when they have played for months in a game and their character walks away with no treasure. So we voted to sell the items and split the cash which was really too bad.

Looking at my other experienced character, he is ahead of the curve. One adventure and he managed to pick up a +1 aquatic humanoid bane heavy pick. That there is worth 8300+ gp which at 4th level is well over the 5400.

I guess it will all just be a factor of the living campaign world, that as orsal points out, is quite random - some get lucky others not so much.

Interesting and unique items are one possible way to look at it. Players who come by those are less likely to feel left behind even if their items are not worth as much just cause they are cool. Hopefully my players will find some nifty items in my game, whether they keep them or not is another question.

Bront

The man with the probe
As far as wealth level goes, i've seen one adventure that seemed meager, and the reward was probably closer to average when all was said and done than I thought, another where the rewards was fantastic, though the PC took some great personal risk with his reward to get that, and a third with a fantastic rewards that looks like it might not be coming for 2-3 real time years at the current pace, though I think there will be other opertunities along the way.

It hurts that some adventures are done with a large mix (1st to 3rd or 4th), so the higher level characters fall behind or the lower level ones get ahead, but there's only so much you can do.

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, Crafting a Masterwork Greatsword with an assist from ao'Thuir, as negotiated in the Inn.

Masterwork Greatsword normaly 350, will cost 116.67 gold, and 35 craft points. The Normal Greatsword is a DC 15 (which Juliana can take a 10 on), the Masterwork part will be assisted by ao'Thuir, pending his roll to hit a DC 10 on the assist. The masterwork part is a DC 20, Juliana is a +9 normaly for craft: weapon. If she failed by more than 4, it will cost her an additional 50 gold and 10 craft points to try again.

Actualy, will it cost the extra craft points if she fails?

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, So failure on the assist, so....Juliana's Craft Check on a Masterwork Greatsword (1d20+9=25)

Tada! Success! Update your sheet, and I'll update mine.

Edit: Ok, I left my old gold and craft point total in () just in case there is a problem with any of this.

Assuming there is not, Juliana is going to craft herself some Full Plate after selling her Banded Mail, now that she can afford it.

Sorry for cluttering up the General thread, but this seems to be the place to do this :)

And also, I wanted to make a point not to specificly make something in order to sell it for profit to the general public. Because there is some money in that, though you waste your craft points. So it was not my intent to sell the Banded Mail as soon as I did. If this is a problem, let me know, and I'm sure we can work something out with the judges.

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
Rock on! Thanks :) I'll update my sheet now. Selling the old greatsword at the same time. So +25gp-280= 255gp spent and adding a masterwork greatsword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads