General Discussion Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Rystil Arden said:
OK, I want to have this one ready in case it comes up in my game:

Am I allowed to use variant rulings for my adventure only that won't cause any sorts of carryover issues? Specifically, if I like the more forgiving dead and dying rules (pulled from AU) that let you stay staggered to -Con Bonus and alive up until -Con Score, am I allowed to use them or do I have to stick with -10 as dead. I'd be happy to hear that I can, but if I can't, I understand.

My immediate thought is no. As a player, I like my rules between games in a living setting consistent; I don't want to have to worry about any variables between them, as that might change my style of play.

As a judge, I say no. Like I pointed out above, the rules between games should be consistent so we don't have to worry about things changing. If you get a new player in a game with a variant rule, they might think that that rule applies everywhere else, too, which could create problems.

Rystil Arden

First Post
GnomeWorks said:
My immediate thought is no. As a player, I like my rules between games in a living setting consistent; I don't want to have to worry about any variables between them, as that might change my style of play.

As a judge, I say no. Like I pointed out above, the rules between games should be consistent so we don't have to worry about things changing. If you get a new player in a game with a variant rule, they might think that that rule applies everywhere else, too, which could create problems.
Fair enough. It was just a thought to help PCs and not a dealbreaker or a big issue for me or anything. Franky, the 10 hit point buffer is pretty measly though. I'd propose it but people aren't going to want to change, so I'll just let it go (though I reserve the right to blame it on someone else when a PC dies at -12 :p)

Manzanita

First Post
Your BBEG can be created however you like. As a DM, you have that control. I must admit, I made my BBEG (Jezibel) on a 30 point buy, though. Seems more fair that way, somehow.

As for rule changes, Rystil. I agree w/GW in a general sense. But it may depend on how you run your games. If you narrate your combat in prose, and don't necessarily include precise HP and damage counts, you could track that yourself, as you see fit. I do think it would be confusing to change the death and dying rules.

In general, I want to make LEW a very DM-friendly place. I, personally, am very reluctant to micromanage any DM. Myself, I was thinking of instituting a different initiative sequence for my next game. I've seen this done elsewhere in a PbP game w/great success. Initiative would change round by round based on posting order. This makes PbP combat flow much more naturally, and doesn't make the PCs second guess each other. I would just offer to replace the Improved Initative feat w/say, toughness or dodge, for those PCs who have that. I'd like DMs to have that kind of freedom to experiment in their games to try to make them more fun.

azmodean

First Post
IcyCool said:
Well, at the very least, they are immune to nonlethal damage. So taking 1d6 points of nonlethal damage per hour after 8 hours will do nothing to an undead horse.

The sticking point is just the Fortitude save, as a mount they take lethal damage, which is in my earlier post.

IcyCool

First Post
azmodean said:
The sticking point is just the Fortitude save, as a mount they take lethal damage, which is in my earlier post.

I'm also inclined to agree with KnightOtu about the save, if that matters. :)

LogicsFate

First Post
Was the shape of the world ever dicided? I'm seeing alot of spherical and some flat hexagonal riding on the back of ENWorphant

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Well, the world maps I've seen seem to imply a globe shape... but it doesn't show one side of the world, so. :lol: I'm not seeing a dish or elephant-type thing or turtle or anything, though...

Knight Otu

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Well, the world maps I've seen seem to imply a globe shape... but it doesn't show one side of the world, so. :lol: I'm not seeing a dish or elephant-type thing or turtle or anything, though...
Then I wonder which ones you've seen. :p

The shape of the world is a disk/hexagon, with the towers at the edges. It is carried by the Enworphant, a great elephant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads