General Discussion Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

orsal

LEW Judge
HugeOgre said:
So I just made my first post in the Tavern thread, and I'm just looking to get up to speed.

Welcome to LEW.

HugeOgre said:
How does one make the Spoiler boxes with the hidden text?

Put the text between
and [/spoiler].

HugeOgre said:
Are there any low level adventures starting soon that maybe Ive missed seeing?

You might look at Bront's adventure, The Rightful Owner, which hasn't gotten off the ground. See post #589 in the Red Dragon Inn thread for its first reference.

HugeOgre said:
Where would a half orc most likely be from?

Pretty much anywhere you want, I guess. I don't recall anybody's described a region with a particularly large number of them, but anywhere there are humans and orcs there certainly could be a few half-orcs.

Knight Otu

First Post
HugeOgre said:
How does one make the Spoiler boxes with the hidden text?
Either look at orsal's post above, or mine in the tavern thread.

Are there any low level adventures starting soon that maybe Ive missed seeing?
orsal mentioned the one currently recruiting, but it is looking for morally questionable characters. There is at least one more in the line, but I'm not sure what level at the moment.

Where would a half orc most likely be from?
As orsal said, almost anywhere. The "lawless city" Lathirn south of Orussus does have a higher percentage of half-orcs, though.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Patlin said:
I agree: gotta love Sara. She may yet get everyone killed, but she's a lot of fun. :)
hey now, its just as likely that she's prevent everyone from being killed.... by the trouble she gets them into. :eek:

As to whether TWF even has any advantaged, that's a whole other debate, and it tends to be hotly disputed. Greatsword: 2d6+strength and a half. Two shortswords: 1d6+strength+1d6+half strength. Hmmmm..... All this for a -2 penalty to hit and a feat, not to mention additional expense in item aquisition. And that's assuming full attacks, on a standard action it gets significantly worse. This may not be the forum in which to continue that old saw, however.

I am more and more feeling that combat in D20 is too micromanaged, and should be brought down to a more abstract level where the actual weapon you use is a pure style decision, and damage is by class, level, feats, and enchantments. The old schoolers are always saying that melee combat is "abstract" anyway, why not go all the way? but again, not the forum. ;)

anyway, glad most folks here are taking the more generous interpretation of twf and twd.

El Jefe

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
The old schoolers are always saying that melee combat is "abstract" anyway, why not go all the way? but again, not the forum. ;)
I'm pretty "old school", but go back far enough and D&D was too abstract. I think that was a consequence of adapting rules intended for minatures battles down to the level of the first RPG. It drove a lot of purists nuts, and drove me to Runequest, which was very cutting edge and ahead of its time as far as combat mechanics went. A lot of the Runequest ideas went into the mechanics for the original Call of Cthulhu (not surprising since Chaosium published them both). Have you ever noticed how much of the CoC mechanics found their way into DnD 3.0? For me, it's kinda like coming full circle.

Bront

The man with the probe
orsal said:
You might look at Bront's adventure, The Rightful Owner, which hasn't gotten off the ground. See post #589 in the Red Dragon Inn thread for its first reference.
Technicaly, I asked for 2nd level or higher, but any/everyone is welcome to apply, but he's more likely to accept those that qualify under the OOC comments.

That said, welcome to LEW :)

IcyCool

First Post
I know that we are using the XPH (or at least the SRD version of it). Are we also using Psionics/Magic transparency? If so, are Knowledge[Psionics] and Knowledge[Arcana] the same thing?

Patlin

Explorer
Are we also using Psionics/Magic transparency? Yes.

If so, are Knowledge[Psionics] and Knowledge[Arcana] the same thing? No.

I suppose both answers are debatable, but that's my take on it. Life gets undesirably more complicated without transparency, but the skill descriptions are sufficiently different that both skills should exist seperately. I don't believe transparency eliminates any of the skills, but it does make certain skills redundant. For example, psicraft and spellcraft are interchangeable: you can use one rather than the other for any purpose. However, if a prestige class requires ranks in both you must get both seperately to qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads