• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

B4cchus

Explorer
Patlin said:
Well, Ironwolf's a tad debatable. The series of events went like this:

1 RA gave us xp
2 I updated and submitted Ironwolf
3 RA posted that there was no need to submit as yet (and Ironwolf is still operating at 5th level)
4 The aproval for Ironwolf arrived

*shrug*

Given the final battle I figure RA has planned, he'll most likely be dead or 7th level by the end of the 'day.' ;)
Same goes for Hulgyr

Erekose13

Explorer
ao'Thuir was up there near the worst (and the top of the second page) and one of the poorest too till I retired him. I may still retire Eternity at the end of her current adventure (and have already worked up a replacement character for both of them).

Boddynock

First Post
OK, folks - another point of clarification, please.

The job system suggests that with an assistant taking care of business while the PC is away saving the world ...

Job System said:
NPC ASSISTANT
Sometimes, a character on a job may want or need to abandon it for a while. Normally, that means that he gains no benefits from the job (some jobs may allow the character to gain reduced benefits). In those chases, if the character has no other assistants, he may want to hire an NPC assistant. This reduces the weekly benefits by 1/2, but other benefits (such as from sold items) are gained normally.
My question really has to do with just what constitutes the "weekly benefits" of the job?

Here's the entry for a Craftsman:

Job System said:
CRAFTSMAN
You are a craftsman, making a living on creating and selling items.
Requirements: At least 1 Craft skill at 4 ranks.
gp/week: 2.5 plus 1/4 the highest Craft skill modifier you have (ranks in Craft + Int modifier + other permanent bonuses).
Special Payment: You gain 1 Craft Point per week per rank in your highest Craft skill.

Special: You can craft, buy and sell items in a seperate thread while not adventuring. You must possess artisan tools. If you do not have one yet, you must set aside at least 1/4 of your income for a workshop, which costs 500 gp to buy.
You are assumed to have a selection of common goods (simple weapons, light armor, non-masterwork items) for sale. These cost neither money nor Craft Points to maintain. Other items need to be crafted or bought first.
It's obvious that half the gp/week entry I've highlighted is available to the adventuring Craftsman PC, but what about half the Craft Points? And for that matter, what about half the 5 XP per week which the Job System also talks about?

Personally, I think you could make a case for the reduced acquisition of Craft Points (since a Craftsman on adventure will be spending spare time in Craft oriented behaviours) but that the XP are not available. The half cash payment is a given, since the shop (with assistant) is still open.

Whaddaya reckon?

'Nock
(whose PC, Tarag, is just about to hire an NPC assistant and go off on adventure - :eek: surprise! surprise!)

Velmont

First Post
XP? I didn't knew about that XP award, or Rinaldo would have a few more XP... on that I don't know. Nor if Craft point bonus should happen while you are away.

Boddynock

First Post
Job System said:
The job system is meant as an alternate source of income, for times when adventures are scarce, or for characters that are not as adventuresome as others. For every full week in real life (starting with the day the character makes a post in an appropriate downtime thread, such as the Red Dragon Inn or his shop thread), a character on a job, but not on adventure gains some benefits, usually money and some other benefits (such as Craft Points, minor favors, and the like), and 5 XP per week. Partial weeks are passed to assistants, if any. In that case, all of that week is treated as though the apprentice (or nobody, if there is no apprentice) worked that week. Most jobs have a requirement that must be fulfilled, though characters on the way to fulfill the requirements might become apprentices/assistants to another character.
It's not much, but it's something! :lol:

Solange

First Post
Wow, that means I need to adjust a few of my characters for job XP. In once case, might have made the difference in a level. :eek:

Rystil Arden

First Post
I think we should clearly not give XP for time spent with an NPC handling the shop. Other stuff is fine for the current jobs that require Profession and Craft but may be abusive if we ever vote in new 'freebie' jobs that only require the skills you wanted anyway (even though it would benefit my characters), since you basically receive free stuff while you're out on an adventure for doing nothing and saying the NPC did.

Velmont

First Post
I agree XP shouldn't be given while the character is in adventure.

I also agree that NPC giving money should be given only for some jobs, not all. If you are a small scribe, if you go in adventure, you won't gain anything. If you are teh owner of teh scriberry, now that another thing. In other words, if you are an employee and you leave you job, you don't win anything, but if you are a boss and owner of something, your business still make profit, but less because you need to pay an NPC to do your job while away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads