General Discussion

Walking Dad

First Post

Since Flurry of Blows allows the monk to attack as if he had the two weapon fighting feat, it would require the monk to attack with a second weapon, instead of striking twice with a single weapon. Hence, needing brass knuckles for each hand.

As far as I know, monks can flurry with a single kama... was there an official rules change?

jkason

First Post
As far as I know, monks can flurry with a single kama... was there an official rules change?

I think this is the sentence probably in question:

PFSRD said:
When doing so he may make one additional attack using any combination of unarmed strikes or attacks with a special monk weapon (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham) as if using the Two-Weapon Fighting feat (even if the monk does not meet the prerequisites for the feat).

TWF's description says you attack with your primary hand, and get a second with your off-hand. Flurry explicitly references Two-Weapon fighting, but it also says the monk can use "any combination."

Personally, I always thought "any" in the monk description, then, overwrote the 'one hand each' element in TWF, so you could double up an attack. i.e. your attacks are modified "as if" by TWF, but as a monk you have more options. I can see how it can be interpreted as "you need to have an 'off hand' attack," though, and thus you always have to have to flurry with at least one other limb.

Barring FAQ or errata clarification, I think it's slightly muddy, but I generally bow to SK's expertise since I know there's a lot more exhaustive research at play from that corner. :)

Satin Knights

First Post
I don't think it is muddy. It is "any combination of" (plural or plural) as if using the two weapon fighting. So, I read that as needing plural, or two weapons. Each of the two weapon feats in the chain specify an extra attack with the off hand weapon and each are mentioned in the level progression of the furry of blows.

If they had intended "an extra attack costing -2 to all attacks", thereby allowing the same weapon to attack, it would have been shorter and easier to use that wording than the "as if using the Two-Weapon Fighting feat even...". Paizo always uses the shortest wording "they think will be clear" because of space limitations in printing.

Because they chose the "two weapon fighting" as the shortest path to their intention, all the key elements of that feat are kept. Extra attack, off hand, penalty to attack based on size of weapons in each hand. The only bypass is the 15 Dex prereq.

Obligatory caveat: Just my opinion from reading the core rulebook. I haven't played a monk for 20 years, so not up on everything available for him.

GlassEye

Adventurer
From what I can tell, jkason is correct on the pricing. For the moment I'll let her sit on the coin and save up, I think.

So if someone wants to give her an eyeball as I did get one magic item (Bracers of Armor +1 was what I selected) then I'll be all set.

For the record, sitting on gold (especially since we have 100% buyback) is always the worst option. Buy yourself that +1 Brass Knuckles or some other minor magical item. Even with the less favorable flurry of blows ruling one magical brass knuckle is better than if you have none, especially if you encounter a Grick or some other creature that requires magic to damage it. If you don't like the item you can sell it later and buy something you like better.

jkason

First Post
Good point. I will see if I get a shopping opportunity during the duration of the adventure.

I am so looking forward to getting to play along side you again, GE.

That's highly unlikely at this point, though since Audra has ostensibly been travelling for quite some time to get here (Martna is over a month's travel from Venza), and since the Pearl as I understand it exists in one form or another in any city where you can buy magic items, I'm fine with retconning the purchase if she can find them in the Pearl thread. We'll say it was either in some city between here and there, or in Martna before she met up with Inar.

IronWolf

blank
That's highly unlikely at this point, though since Audra has ostensibly been travelling for quite some time to get here (Martna is over a month's travel from Venza), and since the Pearl as I understand it exists in one form or another in any city where you can buy magic items, I'm fine with retconning the purchase if she can find them in the Pearl thread. We'll say it was either in some city between here and there, or in Martna before she met up with Inar.

I was going to XP you, but it seems I have done so too recently.

But I just wanted to say I like to see this case of a GM working with a player to get things the player wants through reasonable retcons like this. We have a great set of GMs here and I just wanted to highlight a case of it as an example and to say it is appreciated. It helps keep the LPF games fun for all involved.

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Okay, gonna meander over to the Pearl and see if I can get lucky. 2301 for a +1 Brass Knuck (single).

Update: Did the roll, didn't quite make it, though. :) Thanks for the opportunity. :)

Now...onward and upward! :)

Last edited:

Songdragon

Explorer
You can still have the item commissioned. It just has a time factor on it then, rather than walking out the door with it. (for the knuckles that is)

Remove ads