General Discussion

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Well if your planning on flying then you may want Skill Focus Ride or Animal Affinity to help with those checks. Your ride modifier is +5 (not +7) btw

Start with a few mounted feats early? If you want Trick Riding by 9th lvl you need to take Mounted Combat at 5th or 7th

The Concentration Feat Tree: Combat Casting then Uncanny Concentration (which I believe will let you forgo concentration checks while flying)

And in buildings/dungeons you may want to think about how to get out of combat if caught by surprise - Improved INIT maybe which would also help get your summons off and in front of Ni so he can cast from behind.

My two coppers hope it gets you thinking.

HM

Qik

First Post
Thanks for the input you two.

Master Summoners get Augment Summoning free at level 2, so I already have it. Hooray!

The concentration line isn't a bad idea: it's applicable, and it shores up an ability. Don't have to always worry about concentration checks, but when I do need to make them, I often really need to make them (like in my last outing - boy did that get hairy!).

The ride line isn't a bad idea, although I'm still curious to see how much time I end up spending mounted. Animal Affinity isn't a bad idea at all, since both of those skills are applicable. Good food for thought, HM; many thanks.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
NP - Qik glad to help.

The possibilties are endless and it bites that you need to be ready for all types of adventures. It would suck to go the fly route and then end up in a dungeon ever single game.

HM

Qik

First Post
The possibilties are endless and it bites that you need to be ready for all types of adventures.

Definitely doesn't help matters. :p That's part of the reason I'm not interested in taking Improved Initiative: most LPF games I've played in (all, I think, actually) use group initiative, which mitigates the advantages of Improved Initiative.

Mounted Combat seems like a good possibility. As a master summoner, Ni's eidolon is pretty squishy, so one solid hit could down him. Mounted Combat would be huge in those situations.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Definitely doesn't help matters. :p That's part of the reason I'm not interested in taking Improved Initiative: most LPF games I've played in (all, I think, actually) use group initiative, which mitigates the advantages of Improved Initiative.

I use perrinmiller's version of group initiative which makes allowances for characters who have invested in better initiative. So investing in initiative isn't useless under all LPF DMs.

But I agree with you about Summoner feats: it is difficult to find something that feels 'right'. I almost feel combat feats are a waste since the summoner isn't that good at it; a combat feat will only make him a bit less mediocre. Maybe a metamagic feat...

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Maybe, a list of Heinrich's feats will spark some thoughts?

Spell Focus [Evocation]
Gtr Spell Focus [Evocation]
Elemental Focus [Fire]
Elemental Spell [Metamagic][acid]
Spell Specialization [spell chosen: fireball ]
Armor Proficiency, Light (Combat)

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Congrats Scott on post 14,000, :D odd I can't XP you still - I have been trying since you caught my venerable mistake.

That XP comment was suppose to say "Thank you Mr. Editor. :p"

HM

My intention was the second system. It is just that, until now, nobody started with spending on housing out of their initial character monies. Since it was rare that someone would pick up other minor cost items later in their career that they hadn't grabbed in the beginning, it only looked like system 1 was in effect.
Guess I was the first then? At any rate I'm glad I did, else she might starve before eventually finding her way to the DWI XD.

Remove ads