• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion

GlassEye

Adventurer
I think the informal rule is that you can retrain once per character. There isn't a limit that I know of on how extensive the change can be.

Aura

Explorer
Should we consider bringing in (in effect, adding the section to the list of approved sources) the Ultimate Campaign rules on this (retraining)? The one thing I liked about it, when reading it, was that it scaled costs (time, gold) to the extent of the retraining. However, one part that would be difficult to do in LPF is seeking out a trainer, as there is no GM for characters out of a game.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
. . . . . The one thing I liked about it, when reading it, was that it scaled costs (time, gold) to the extent of the retraining. However, one part that would be difficult to do in LPF is seeking out a trainer, as there is no GM for characters out of a game.
I do believe it is just simply stated in an approved thread (character level approval?)

Aura

Explorer
Edit: In retrospect, my original response was over wordy. The jist of it was to clarify I was talking about the way the Ultimate Campaign rules on the issue seemed to me. Sorry for any confusion.

[sblock=original text]
Well, Scott, perhaps the problem is I wasn't very clear. My apologies. The rule from Ultimate Campaign for retraining I was referring to required the person doing the retraining to find a trainer in the particular item he is training to. For example, if you wish to retrain a feat, you have to find someone who has that feat, and ask them to teach you. (The pay some gold and take some number of days to train.) This stands as a distinct difference from the regular level up procedure, where no trainer is required.

In context of LPF, we effectively do not have a GM between adventures. Instead, our characters' economic decisions are resolved by simple GM-less rules, such as percentage chances to find magic items we wish to buy. The rest is all non-mechanical roleplay.

Given this, if people liked the Ultimate Campaign rules to the point they might be considered for adoption, we'd need some way of dealing with the trainer requirement. Or, perhaps, it's not worth adopting at all. I was just thinking about it out loud. :)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Merry Christmas

7WKn7hzlvzGmqchIo.jpeg

Ganzer

First Post
Greetings and Happy Holidays everyone. I'm sure this won't get seen very much but I'll post anyways.

I've been thinking of creating a character for your group here and joining in on the fun. I just have a quick question. How are rogues in PbP play and what styles/builds mesh with this style of game? Otherwise I'm thinking magus or paladin.

Systole

First Post
No no no no no no no no no run away from rogues very fast no no no. PF rogues are just not well-designed. If you want a rogue-type, pick vivisectionist alchemist (for sneak attack), bard (for skillmonkey), or ranger (for two weapon fighting). They are all far superior to the rogue.

Magus and paladin are both okay, although 1st level of magus is kind of painful. In general, PF characters work best when focused on smacking stuff inna face with a BFS, shooting them inna face with a longbow, or blasting them inna face with fireballs.

Remove ads