• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion

Aura

Explorer
A couple of days ago I did a head count on a class basis, Deuce. I fished it out of the trash for you.

The criteria I used was level 2+ characters in the DWI or active games. A character's 'class', for this exercise, was whatever the definitive majority (difference of 2 or greater) of non-prestige levels were taken in. When tied/too close to call, it was listed as 'mutt'. Then, as an afterthought, I added in characters at home. In no particular order:

Inquisitor 1
Bard 3
Wizard 5
Summoner 4
Ranger 4
Rogue 2
Fighter 5
Witch 1
Barbarian 3
Mutt 4 (Cythera, Ru, Kalinn, Jonas)
Cleric 1
Magus 1
Sorcerer 2
Druid 4
Monk 1
Ninja, Paladin, Alchemist, Oracle (and possible forgotten others) 0 ea

To me, the shockers are so many wizards, so few clerics.

Edit: Then I got bored and went through and did races on the above sample:
Merfolk 1
Human 22
Gnome 1
Assimar 2
Tengu 2
Half Elf 2
Elf 4
Tiefling 2
HalfOrc 2
Halfling 2
Dwarf 1

This is utterly unsurprising from my experience, anyway. A flock of humans, followed by the elf/half elf block, then a smattering of everything else.

So, for what it's worth, there ya go.
PS: It's a little off, probably. The two don't add up to the same.
PPS: Fixed: One typo and one incorrect assessment.

Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
The next character I was going to build was a war cleric, but I already hit the character limit :(

That being said, DMing allows me the freedom to play different characters that I have ideas for, but never have the chance to play IRL or on here. Like a cavalier. Who plays those?? But they make very terrifying bosses.

Charge + Ride By Attack + Spirited Charge + Challenge + PA = Dead PC.

Ganzer

First Post
That is an interesting break down of class/races. I'll get a human cleric of Tessel up and running as soon as I can and see how that plays out.

Aura

Explorer
Aura, I think you missed Tyrien Half-elven Bard/Fighter/Arcane Archer.

Actually, I got Tyrien. Her class was considered 'fighter' by the simplistic guidelines I made up for the head count. It's possible the guidelines were not the best, but when I made them it was just a personal mental exercise so I didn't think very hard about them.

sunshadow21

Explorer
Interesting breakdown, and the lack of clerics doesn't surprise me. Too many other divine classes (and even one technically arcane class) can pull off the healing almost as well, and even with the improvements made in PF, the cleric class isn't that fun to play; potentially very powerful, yes, but not particularly fun. There just isn't enough difference in how clerics of two completely different gods actually work in play to make the choice in faith be anything but extra fluff. The base rogues have a similar problem; over reliance on one trick that really only works when the party helps the player of the rogue take advantage of it. Both the cleric spell list and sneak attack suffer from the same problem; they look really cool on paper, and can be really powerful in the right situation, but they are too powerful to allow for useful secondary tricks that can be used the rest of the time, which in most cases is most of the time. Clerics' other cool thing, domains, don't have nearly enough impact to truly make them valuable, and the rogue's trapfinding ability was weak even before rangers and bards got archetypes that had it because even when traps show up, they tend to be not particularly lethal, since most DMs don't take or don't have the time to run them properly.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Sounds like we have some challenges thrown down. :p
I am looking to potentially replace Borric. As fighters go, he is sorta "eh". Fun to play from an RP perspective. I might look at rebuilding him, but I already did that at 2nd level.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I'm having a boatload of fun playing Bren (is he really the only Cleric?). Of course, he looks to be about to perish . . . Got a few ideas for a replacement waiting in the wings just in case :lol:

You could switch Jonas to Inquisitor as well. He'll end up with two levels of Fighter, but otherwise he's all holy man.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads