• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General "Lost" thoughts

WayneLigon

Adventurer
As if there is not enough speculation, http://www.answers.com/topic/lost-2004-television-series has some additional tidbits. Some fascinating stuff there. I had not noticed the 'we open on an eye' theme, or several others.

Examples:
Re: The Numbers: As he is running to his gate, [Hurley] runs past a team of soccer players, wearing jerseys with the numbers in numerical order.

AhA! I found part of what I had heard earlier:

Part of an IM intrview with DAMON LINDELOF (Emphasis mine)

LOST-TV: you and JJ have denied the purgatory one. Are there others that stick in your mind that are NOT the answer to the mystery/
DAMON: What mystery?
LOST-TV: the mystery of the island. The infamous “they’re dead an in purgatory"
LOST-TV: All the fans have a theory: it's the Island of Dr. Moreau, it's an experiment. Any of these theories come to mind which NOT the answer are -- but which kind of make you think, "Wow, that was cool."
DAMON: I think it's really interesting that people think there is ONE definitive answer.
DAMON: Here's something that it is NOT...
DAMON: This is not a fictional reality that is playing out in someone's brain.

LOST-TV: well thank goodness for that.
DAMON: Like I've heard that they're all different personalities inside Locke, or something.
LOST-TV: "Emily, I just had the weirdest dream I was an innkeeper in Vermont"
DAMON: To this I say, "Yes. I saw 'Identity,' too. And I did not like it."

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Cthulhudrew said:
Actually, the whole thing is Tommy Westphall's doing...

(I think it would be hysterical if they came across seven gravesites on the island, one with red shirt on it and the epitaph, "Rest in Peace, Little Buddy.")

You do realize that the entire RPG cultural phenominia is, in fact, a part of Tommy Westphall's dream and that no such thing as D&D exists....

That said, if there are seven gravesites, who burried the last one?

And, more seriously, if Lost is in the same world as Alias could events on the island have anything to do with Rambaldi, Sloane of shinny shinny wigs?

Cthulhudrew

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
That said, if there are seven gravesites, who burried the last one?

D'OH!

Maybe the Professor built something to automate the burial process?

(For that matter, maybe the Professor set up the hatch and everything on the island. What that guy couldn't do with some coconuts...)

The Grumpy Celt said:
Locke says he works at a box company. Hurley, as one of his assets after winning the lotto, owns a box company. So does Locke work for the company that Hurley ownes?
I had managed to miss most of the episodes because of one thing and another, but over the last week or so have been watching 4 or more episodes a night from the DVD set so this is pretty fresh in mind... It's not stated what the name of the box company actually is so you can't say absolutely yes, but Hurley's lawyer said it was box company in Irvine - and Locke worked for a box company in Irvine. You can draw your own conclusions. I also noticed that there was very brief glimpse of a TV in the background in one of the flashback scenes - it was Hurley giving that interview to the press in front of his house. I believe it was the TV the little girl was watching when Jin went to deliver that first message for his father-in-law. Just another one of those little connections and coincidences that run all through the show.

Steverooo

First Post
Man in the Funny Hat said:
I also noticed that there was very brief glimpse of a TV in the background in one of the flashback scenes - it was Hurley giving that interview to the press in front of his house. I believe it was the TV the little girl was watching when Jin went to deliver that first message for his father-in-law. Just another one of those little connections and coincidences that run all through the show.

Yup! All right!

Sarigar

First Post
I read an interview recently, I believe in CFQ magazine, where the show is trying to make all of these connections between the characters. Sawyer and Jack's dad, Hurley on the TV in Jin's flashback, Sawyer being brought in when, I forget who, one of the characters was in the police station. Locke and Hurley connected, no doubt about it. :]

Okay, I've barely been able to see this show, having only caught pieces of a few episodes and hearing a lot of chatter about it.

From what I understand it started out odd and got almost downright surreal, with the producers having to insist they were not in hell/purgatory.

Now, with the strange set of mirrors apparently that they just showed, now some people are insisting they are on an obscure space-station design with the mirrors reflecting sunlight to the inner shell of the space-station/artificial world and they are somehow aboard it. A member of my gaming club is insisting that is what is really going on, and that they are onboard this space station, and the show is now really Hard Sci-Fi, and the hatch they found on the island was into the control facilities of the station.

Now, I thought the original premise of the show was a group of people from the modern day who were marooned aboard an island, how in the world they could somehow get onto an incredibly complicated space station (probably at least a century advanced in design) for reasons unknown seems about as implausible as the Purgatory theory.

Has anybody else heard of this "space station theory", or is it as crackpot as it sounds to me?

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Sarigar said:
I read an interview recently, I believe in CFQ magazine, where the show is trying to make all of these connections between the characters. Sawyer and Jack's dad, Hurley on the TV in Jin's flashback, Sawyer being brought in when, I forget who, one of the characters was in the police station. Locke and Hurley connected, no doubt about it. :]

Sawyer was at the police station when Boone was trying to get someone to rescue his sister...

Remove ads