• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Rule questions

Grimmjow

First Post
Hey guys i have just a few questions about 4E that I'm sure you guys can answer.

1. Aside from a +2 to your speed, how does running work?

2. if i move 5 squares, and the very last movement, i end next to an enemy does he get an opportunity attack, or does i have to move away/past him in order for the opportunity attack?

3.How do rituals work, and what do you do in order to get components?

4. How does the Shaman spirit companion work with a hybrid character.

5. How can you kill the summoned animal that a druid summons with his dailies?

I think thats all, but ill let you guys know if i have any more. thanks guys.

Edit: Naturally, as soon as i post it i get another question in my head :p.

6. Do shamans and druids have to be holding their totems in order to get the bonus from them, or does it just just have to be like, around their neck?

Saagael

First Post
1) Character also takes a -5 to attack rolls and grants combat advantage until the end of his next turn.

2) Unless the monster has threatening reach, you don't provoke opportunity attacks for moving towards a monster.

3) Components are conveniently measured in their worth in gold. You can buy or find components. Each ritual has a key skill,and those skills tell you the type of reagent necessary. Arcana requires alchemical reagents, Nature requires herbs and fungi and stuff, Heal requires holy incense. All rituals can use residuum as their components, however.

4) Same as it does for normal Shamans. The hybrid shaman just doesn't get the at-wills and powers associated with the spirit companion.

5) Do damage to them. They have the same defenses as the druid (minus temporary bonuses), and hit points equal to the summoner's bloodied value. I'm also fairly certain that when a summoned creature dies, the summoner loses a surge.

6) Yes, totems are like rods or wands for primal casters. What you describe is actually a ki focus, which doesn't need to be held in a hand to use.

Hey guys i have just a few questions about 4E that I'm sure you guys can answer.

1. Aside from a +2 to your speed, how does running work?

Saagel's answer is right on.

2. if i move 5 squares, and the very last movement, i end next to an enemy does he get an opportunity attack, or does i have to move away/past him in order for the opportunity attack?

No. You provoke for moving through or out of an enemy's threatened area. (This means if your opponent has lots of threatening reach, it could provoke an opportunity attack if you move toward it.)

3.How do rituals work, and what do you do in order to get components?

First you need the Ritual Caster feat or some other feat that gives you its benefits (in the PH1, only Ritual Caster gives you this benefit). Many spellcaster classes give you this for free. Note that a non-caster can take the feat, but the requirements are training in either Arcana or Religion, so you're making a conscious decision to do this in-character.

Second, you need to master a ritual. This means adding it to your ritual book (this is part of your spellbook if you're a wizard), and you can usually only do this if the ritual is your level or lower. Clerics start with the Gentle Repose ritual trained (plus you get to pick one other one) and wizards start with several and gain more every five levels for free. Otherwise you generally buy or find (often on a creature's corpse) ritual scrolls.

Third, you need to be trained in a ritual's key skill. Most use Arcana, Heal, Nature or Religion, but some of the more exotic ones use Diplomacy, Insight, etc.

Fourth, you need components and/or foci. Some rituals require you to expend one or more healing surges as a component. Arcana rituals require arcane reagents. Heal rituals require ointments and so forth. Nature requires rare herbs. Religion requires sanctified incense. You can use residuum to substitute any of these.

You can buy components at a magic shop, assuming your campaign has them. (And if there's more than a few casters in your campaign, there should be. In my Dark Sun campaign, most forms of magic are outlawed, so the risk is you could get arrested going there. Also, most magic is sold by elves, and they're not trustworthy. However, it's an inherent bonus campaign, so the PCs don't get too shafted.) Some components (eg rare herbs) can be scrounged for. Residuum can be created by dissolving a magic item with the Disenchant Magic Item ritual, or by removing residuum from the stomach of a rust monster that has rusted a magic item into nothingness.

Some rituals require assistance if you want to spread the benefits to allies. For instance, Water Breathing requires your allies to participate in the ritual. They don't need to make skill checks or anything, although they can assist; this does mean they're not out fighting, or breaking down doors, or searching for treasure, etc, while you're performing the ritual with them.

Ritual scrolls can in some cases be used even by people without the Ritual Caster feat.

Each ritual has a casting time, sometimes as short as a standard action but usually 5 minutes or more. Some can take 8 hours to perform. They also usually have a duration. They can be detected with the Arcana skill, although that requires an active search. (Otherwise illusion rituals wouldn't work.)

Each ritual has a category, eg Divination (information from the future), Scrying, Deception (illusions), Travel, etc.

4. How does the Shaman spirit companion work with a hybrid character.

I avoid the hybrid rules like the plague, so I can't answer this one.

5. How can you kill the summoned animal that a druid summons with his dailies?

IIRC the summoned animal has a certain number of hit points, equal to the druid's healing surge or bloodied value, so you can just overwhelm it with damage. You're probably better off killing the druid though.

6. Do shamans and druids have to be holding their totems in order to get the bonus from them, or does it just just have to be like, around their neck?

I believe you have to hold them. Only holy symbols are handless, I think. It's not much of a problem though; you could use a two-handed weapon like a spear, then have the totem "hang off you" from a strap or something. You can hold a two-handed weapon in one hand while casting, you just need both hands to swing it.

spinmd

Fishy DM
Third, you need to be trained in a ritual's key skill. Most use Arcana, Heal, Nature or Religion, but some of the more exotic ones use Diplomacy, Insight, etc.

Is this an updates to the rules? All I see in the PH and the compendium for requirements to use a ritual are:

compendium said:
You must meet two requirements to master a ritual. You must have the Ritual Caster feat, and your level must equal or exceed the ritual’s level. If you meet those requirements and spend 8 hours studying a ritual, you can add it to your list of mastered rituals. As long as you have the ritual’s book handy, you can perform a mastered ritual whenever you want.

As the additional requirement of needing to be trained in the specific skill would change much of the ritual usage in my campaign, if you could point me where this requirement is listed, that would be great.

Saagael

First Post
You don't need training in the skill? That doesn't even make sense...

A re-read showed no such requirement. That's still weird.

I think the reason rituals have skills attached to them is that some require skill checks, and that tells you what skill to use. There are also feats and items, and perhaps themes, that give you a bonus to rituals that use a specific skill.

Grydan

First Post
I think the reason rituals have skills attached to them is that some require skill checks, and that tells you what skill to use. There are also feats and items, and perhaps themes, that give you a bonus to rituals that use a specific skill.

Additionally, it's because the type of the required components is determined by the associated skill.

Arcana-based rituals use Alchemical Reagents
Heal-based rituals use Mystic Salves
Nature-based rituals use Rare Herbs
Religion-based rituals use Sanctified Incense

Of course, Residuum can be substituted for any of them.

Temporary hit points generally do not stack. There's a fighter build that can occasionally stack temporary hit points though, but that's an exception to the general rule.

Remove ads