Generating Ability Scores (POLL IS COMPLEX TAKE YOUR TIME)

Which method should we use to generate PC ability scores

• ... Two Mountains Array (17 17 13 10 10 8)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ... "An 18!" Array (18 16 12 11 9 8)

• ... Balanced Array (15 15 15 12 11 11)

• ... Other Array ______

• Method 2: Customizing Scores (AKA Point Buy) 20 points

• ... 28 points

• ... 32 points

• ... (4d6 take highest) - unbanded (less than +4 reroll)

• ... Higher Power (5d6 take highest) - unbanded (less than +4 reroll)

• ... Dark Sun Method (5d4) - unbanded (less than +4 reroll)

• ... Hard Core (3d6) - unbanded (less than +2 reroll)

• ... oDnD Style (3d6 in order Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha)

• Method X: I wish to propose an alternative (point buy with different table, interpretive dance, etc)

Bront

The man with the probe
Dice are too random for a standardized system, and a fixed array removes some flexability.

I suggest going PHB standard 22, but 25 isn't a bad option if you want slightly higher power.

However, keep in mind that attributes rise fairly often anyway, so starting lower doesn't nessessarily punish you a lot.

Another option, would be to go point buy as start from 8 for all stats and go 32 points (which is effectively what 5 10s and an 8 with 22 is), but if you stick to PHB standard, there's no confusion.

renau1g

First Post
PB - FTW

So we almost all agree about pointbuy, the range is split between 22 & 25, with 2 at 24.

I would love to do the OD&D method (I do it in RL games), but not for PbP (without a dice roller ingrained in the site we can't properly monitor people's rolls)

Graf

Explorer
I think 24s indicated they'd be happy to slide to 25. But this is almost irrelevant really in terms of moving forward. I say we leave it open until it resolves itself.

Someone else will vote at some point.

covaithe

Explorer
The time when we need to have a decision on this is when we start writing drafts for the rules of L4W. Which could happen any time now; see the roadmap thread. So a decision on this probably shouldn't be put off.

Looking at the votes and the comments in the thread, it looks to me like 25 point buy is a clear winner. 4 of the 5 people who voted for 22 have said that 25 is acceptable.

Remove ads